4

ELIZABETH's POV- Saturday, December 22nd

It was just past midnight and I was so bored of sitting by myself in my room. I stayed here because I absolutely hate parties, and I was just tired of lying to all the girls I couldn't take being around them anymore.

I decided I'd go down to the first floor and get a hot chocolate from the cafe as it was open 24 hours.

The first floor is huge, aside from the cafe and front desk there were tables on one side and a sitting area on the other with chairs, couches, a fireplace, etc. And it was all decorated for the holidays, a bunch of multicolored lights and huge Christmas trees, which made it even cozier.

I'm on my way down there but stop short when a door a couple down opens up. I squint to see the person and... oh my god. It's Percy. I'd recognize him anywhere.

I quickly duck into a little alcove that has a vending machine and ice maker.

Why was he in that room? I know for a fact it's not his, or anyone else's from our friend group, because no one else is on this floor aside from Gina and I.

And even more unsettling was that he had his shirt off, and was fixing it as he walked out. And his clothes looked wrinkly.

After he passes, I am about to leave my hiding place when the same door opens again. This time, a girl about our age pokes her head out and slips a 'do not disturb' sign on her doorknob.

My heart sinks. Percy, my Percy, was in a room with some other girl... late at night... after a party...

I forget all about my hot chocolate and instead run up to my room. I flop down on my mattress face first and the tears begin to pour.

~~~~

The next morning, everyone had decided they wanted to go skiing all together. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't just skip out on hanging with the group, again.

After debating with myself over and over, I pick up my phone and call Percy.

"Hey babe, good morning," he says cheerfully when he answers.

"Hey," I reply, my voice cracking and hardly above a whisper.

"What's wrong?"

"Um, could you... could you come up here for a minute? I need to talk to you."

There's a long pause. And then, "sure. I'll be up in a sec."

I wait by the door still in my Santa hat printed pajama pants as Gina was getting dressed in the bathroom.

There's a quick knock, and I know it's him, so I open the door and slip out into the hall.

"Hey," I said quietly.

"What's up with you?" He asks.

I squint my eyes at him. "What?"

He shrugs. "You're acting weird. And you didn't even come to the party last night."

"Oh, yeah. How was the party?" I ask bitterly.

"It was fine. Why are you being like that?"

"Like what?"

"Nothing."

We're both quiet. "Well, speaking of the party, what'd you do after?"

"Huh? I went to bed?"

"In some blonde girl's room?" I retort.

He narrows his eyes. "What are you talking about?" He demands.

"I saw you. Last night, I was going downstairs and I saw you leave someone's room and then I saw a pretty blonde girl with big boobs come out after."

His eyes soften, and he reaches over to touch my shoulder. I smack his hand away. "Liz, I wasn't with any girl last night. I promise."

He sounds so genuine, and it's actually hard to tell that he's lying. "I saw you." Tears brim in my eyes. "So what, you were just gonna screw me and then leave? Screw some other girl within the same 48 hours and then lie about it?"

He doesn't say anything for a while. "Babe... are you sure you even left your room last night? You were pretty tired, you wouldn't even come to the party. Maybe you just dreamt the whole thing."

"Percy—"

He held up a hand to stop me. "You know how you get those nightmares sometimes. And, I mean, you did seem kinda nervous when we did it so maybe it's just your anxiety making you think I cheated. I would never do that to you."

I lower my eyes. He's right. How could I accuse him of such a thing? I do get scared of things and my brain really does make up crazy stories...

"Liz, look at me." He puts his finger beneath my chin and moves my head up so I meet his eyes. "I'd never do anything to hurt you, I promise. I love you way too much for that."

I nod. "I'm sorry that I even thought you would-"

He cuts me off. "It's fine. Just go get ready alright? We'll meet you at the lift at 9."

"Alright."

~~~~

Sunday, December 23rd

"Ginaaaa," I whined as I attempted to shake her awake. "Get uppppp. If we're not on the bus by 8, they're going to leave without us."

Reluctantly, she sat up, rubbing her eyes. "Oh my god! I'm tired. It should be a crime to have to get up this early."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Just come on."

To save time this morning, we'd packed up our room last night, so we just got dressed and put away any last minute things, then went into the lobby to get breakfast where we met up with the rest of the group.

"I had a lot of fun here. I'm sad we're leaving already, it feels like we just got here." Kourtney said with a frown.

"Well, we've always got next year's trip!" Nini says cheerily.

"Not me and Perc," EJ replies. I frown. I keep forgetting that their seniors and will be gone next year.

"Next year, I'll be eating breakfast in the cafe at Duke," EJ continues.

"You don't even know if you got in yet," Percy reasons.

EJ smacks him in the shoulder. "Come on dude. You know I got in."

"I'm gonna miss you guys," Percy says. "Especially you baby," he says to me, wrapping his arm around my shoulders.

I look up from my plate. "I'll miss you too," I mumble.

"What's wrong Ellie?" Ricky asked. He's the only one who calls me Ellie. When we were little, it was too hard for him to say Elizabeth so it was just Ellie to him.

"Nothing." I say, staring down, and I know he is not convinced.

"She's just thinking about how far apart we're gonna be next year. It's sad." Percy says aloud to everyone, but he kicks me in the shin underneath the table and I know what he's really saying; stop it! What's the matter with you, stop making me look dumb in front of all our friends.