Ch. 2.2 Why Alex Needs A Guard

Start from the beginning

Rile held the cup to Alex's lips and she drank slowly, eyes closed.

Cale placed his hand on Rile's shoulder. His hands were sure and strong, but not rough. Even working with hundreds of wounded, Cale's hands were as smooth as if they had not brought medicine to the wounded and dying. "I fear your despair more than Alex's physical condition right now."

But Alex snuggled happily against Rile once she had finished drinking so Cale continued his rounds with a small smile.

The messenger's footsteps were heavy and slow, like a boulder sliding down the mountain. They were the only sound outside the healing tent. It wasn't long before the messenger entered and headed straight for Rile. He coughed politely when Rile didn't look up.

"Guardian, Gaza wants you." The messenger spoke to Rile, who was running his hands through Alex's hair. "It's important," the messenger added when Rile still didn't respond.

"I'm not leaving Alex. Tell Gaza I'll come when Cale finishes his rounds," Rile replied.

"He was insistent that it be now."

The exchange attracted attention and Argo came over from where he GSD been visiting the wounded from his clan.

"Hello, Guardians." Argo's smile was open and easy while his voice was deep and soothing. "Is there a problem?"

"Gaza sent for the Guardian Rile, but he won't leave his teammate," the messenger explained, eyes wide and palms up in supplication.

"Alex attracts unwanted attention when she's alone," Rile replied.

"Let me provide a watch. I think I'm capable," Argo said.

Rile didn't want to admit that it was Argo's capabilities that worried him, so left with the messenger.

"You're Argo," Alex said when she awoke. She was pleased to have remembered, especially upon awakening. She was too exhausted to be startled, much less jump up or blast anyone, when she woke up. "You're the youngest Clan Head I've ever seen." She hoped that she phrased it without insult.

"I'm not Clan Head yet. My father says he put me in charge so he can enjoy his old age. Says he can keep an eye on me and still indulge himself." Argo smiled at the memory and Alex smiled as well because she realized how much his father loved him.

Argo brought a skin of water to her lips and his large hand was gentle holding her head. She sipped and released a breath. The water tasted like the springtime air. Each sip was like a ray of sunlight.

The massive Agama smelled like grass and leather. His clothes were made of leather, but soft and supple, not stiff. Beneath it, he was muscular, his body shaped the clothing. His smile just as sharp as his voice, but more amiable.

"You look Gabe's age," Alex said. He was the exact same golden color and height but at least half again wider in the chest, with a blunter muzzle and an open, cheerful expression.

"We are and we practically grew up together. My father and his were best friends. As heirs, we often spent weeks with each other, learning from each other's families." He spoke in a low rumble that vibrated in his chest and made her ears buzz.

"Tell me stories about Gabe, Cale, and Rile growing up," Alex begged. She still couldn't sit up and even talking fatigued her, but she could listen.

"I have the most about Gabe. Although once Cale was old enough, he was never more than ten feet from Gabe. Rile couldn't wait to join them," Argo said.

"Pesky little brother?"

"Not at all, they took their duties as older brothers very seriously, especially Gabe. They loved their family, their little brother. Their patience never failed to amaze me. "