xiaoaether - the day after (angst + fluff)

SPOILER WARNING ;; this fic has a lot of references to the 'we will be reunited' quest, if you havent finished that quest i recommend you do so before reading this !!! i don't wanna spoil the lore of the quest for anyone that hasnt finished it yet

xiao approached wangshu inn, noticing verr at the reception desk looking worried.

"is something the matter?" he asked. verr looked at him, then to the balcony as if she were looking for someone.

"the traveller got here not long ago, and he looked... i don't know, i'm just worried something bad has happened." she said, sighing. xiao didn't respond, quickly walking to the balcony. aether was sitting on the railing where they both had sat together not long ago. he turned as he heard xiao approach, and xiao immediately noticed something was wrong like verr had said.

"xiao," aether said, trying to force a smile.

"are you alright?" xiao asked warily, sitting next to aether on his left. aether didn't respond immediately, staring into the night sky. he looked... lifeless. his face was tinted red around his cheeks and eyes like he had been crying, his eyes dull.

"i found her." he said simply, looking down at his lap. xiao felt a pang in his heart as he realised aether must be talking about lumine. aether's eyes went glassy as he inhaled sharply and continued. "

she's... with the abyss. not just with them, she's their leader or something like that, i don't really understand... they call her the princess." he said. xiao moved closer to him, taking one of aether's hands in his own. he felt aether lightly squeeze his hand back.

"she said she would wait for me until i finished my journey, and then she..." aether cut himself off as tears rolled down his cheeks. xiao wrapped his arm around him, holding him close. aether leaned into xiao's chest, his whole body shaking violently as he sobbed. xiao did his best to console him, hugging him and whispering quiet "im here"s as he wasn't sure what much he could do to comfort him. watching aether cry, knowing how much this hurt him, xiao had the strong sudden urge to take out all of the abyss members in the whole of teyvat. for the first time in a long time, xiao felt pain that wasn't his karma, that wasn't from battle. it pained him to see aether like this, it pained him to know aether's own sister commanded the enemy.

when aether's breathing slowed and cries died down, he rested his head on xiao's shoulder, hiccups still interrupting his breathing every few seconds. xiao got an idea. with one arm still around aether's shoulder, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a couple crystal cores.

"turn around for a second." he said gently. aether looked puzzled, reluctantly turning around. he felt xiao unravel his braid, reweaving it will ease. confused as to what he had done, he turned and noticed crystal cores scattered through his braid. his face lit up a little, and xiao was taken aback as aether suddenly flung his arms around xiao's neck, hugging him tightly.

"thank you," aether whispered, feeling tears well up in his eyes again, not from pain this time. xiao smiled and hugged him back, never wanting to let go.

"anything for you." he replied quietly. 

ive been in an angsty mood lately so here you go B)

tysm for 400 reads omg- i never even thought this would get any reads wth

anywayysss sara came home yay 😩

ty for reading if youre still here :D have a great day/night, remember to stay safe and hydrated !!!

- ari