𝟑.𝟙𝟚.𝟣

Start from the beginning

Marlene took a long drag from her cigarette, which she was getting the hang of. Her brow furrowed. "What's wrong with that? Isn't it good news?"

"Don't you like the guy?" Lily asked.

Artemis shrugged. "Alfie's alright. I don't mind him."

"Then what's wrong?" asked Marlene.

"I just..." Artemis struggled to put her feelings into words.

At that moment, however, Mary let herself into the dormitory and raised her eyebrows when she saw her three friends smoking in the alcove by the window. "So... I miss something?" she asked, looking half amused.

"Art's mum is getting married," Marlene filled her in. "Come sit with us."

Mary was already crossing the room and sitting down on the floor, facing the window. She declined the cigarette Marlene offered her and then turned to Artemis. "So, you're upset your mum's getting married?"

"Yeah, I was just saying... it feels like- like-"

"Like she's replacing you," Mary said softly.

Artemis stared at her. "Exactly. I mean, it's not like I'm around much anyways. I don't even live with her over the summer, but it feels like she's moving on without me. Like she's just... living her life like normal without me and Percy there. Percy's my brother," she filled them in quickly. "He's in Slytherin. He doesn't go home anymore."

The girls were silent for a few seconds. Finally, Mary broke the quiet. "Maybe it's a good thing? That she's getting on with her life, I mean. Like, obviously it's not the ideal situation, but you don't just want her sitting around moping because you're not around."

"Of course not," Artemis said quickly. "But it also sort of feels like she's- like it's wrong... to my dad, you know? He loved her so much and now she's just... moving on. I mean, it's only been four years since he died." Then, the reality of it hit her. "It's been four years," she repeated.

Lily's eyes softened and she reached a hand out to pat Artemis's leg comfortingly. "Maybe this is just her way of moving on."

Artemis scowled. "Just let me be upset about this!" she exclaimed, a short, irritated laugh escaping her lips.

"Exactly!" Marlene agreed passionately. "Let a girl mope, guys, honestly."

Mary and Lily both gave them identical frowns, but stopped trying to rationalize with Artemis. "Here," Mary said at last. "Give me one of those."

"'Atta girl," Marlene laughed, taking a cigarette out of the box and handing it to Mary. "Now we're all moping together, exactly what friends are for."

~

The next morning, Artemis was sitting on the window seat in the common room, trying to do her last bit of homework for that term but unable to focus on anything but the beautiful weather gracing the grounds below. She knew she needed to do well on her last assignments to keep her class rank up, but she was debating just letting it go. It was too nice out to sit inside working on homework all day and she knew her last days at Hogwarts were her only chance to enjoy the summer weather. Luckily, a few moments later, Remus joined her by the window, a welcome distraction. She smiled at him and shifted her legs to make more room for him on the little seat. "Have you done the Potions stuff yet?"

"Finished it last night," Remus said, gazing vacantly out at the grounds.

Artemis gently nudged his foot with hers. "You alright? Your... problem... acting up?"

Remus shook his head. "No, no, that's fine. I actually- I wanted to talk to you about something else."

"What's up?" Artemis noticed that Remus's fingers were tapping nervously on his leg and his eyes had taken on the glassy appearance they got when he was nervous about something. She snapped herself back back into reality, realizing at once that something was wrong.