Bad Luck Magnet - 6

If I was your man, baby you'd

Never worry 'bout, what i'd do

I'd be coming home

Back you you, every night, doing you right

You're the type of woman, deserves good things

Fist full of diamonds, hand full of rings

Baby you're a star

I just wanna show you, you are

You should let me love you

Let me be the one to

Give you everything you, want and need

~*~ Mario Winans ~ Let Me Love You ~*~

Josh was avoiding me. I don't know why, was what my mum said last night really that bad? Or was it something else? By lunch time I was feeling pretty fed up, Josh hadn't even gone to our previous lesson.

"Where's your friend today?" Brendan asked, sounding like he didn't actually care. What was up with him?

I looked at Carrie for answers but she just shrugged.

"I don't know, I think he's avoiding me" I replied. Brendan nodded and went back to staring at his food.

"Why is he avoiding you?" Carrie asked. I explained the events of last night to her, including the part where I spat my food out all over the place.

"Maybe he took your reaction as an insult" Carrie said, giggling at my embarrassment.

"I guess" I said with a shrug. Carrie got up, telling us she'd meet us by my locker at the end of the day.

"Someones being very secretive" I commented as she walked away with no explanation of where she was going. Brendan nodded in agreement but didn't look up from the staring contest he was having with his pasta.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"What do you mean?" He finally looked up at me.

"You're being really quiet" I said, "its not like you".

"It's nothing" He shrugged.

"Brendan, you can talk to me you know" I reached out to place my hand over his but he snatched it away.

"Just leave it Evie!" He hissed before grabbing his tray, he left me sat there alone. Just the way it used to be.

I remember the first time my parents threw me a birthday party. It was my seventh birthday and my parents had told me I could invite everyone in my class.

I was a little unsure at first, I already knew I didn't have any friends. After a little encouragement from my mum with a hopeful look on her face, I decided I'd do it for her. Maybe if I impressed people with my party, they'd start to like me?

I handed out the invitations at the beginning of the week. My party would be that Friday. I was really excited as I walked into school with the little pink and blue envelopes.

I popped them into each persons tray before I hung up my coat in the cloakroom which the trays stood beside. I smiled before heading into class and taking my seat. A few people came into class with their invitations in their hands, reading them.

One of these people was Sherry. She looked up at me as she entered the room with a smirk on her face. When she caught me looking, she ripped it in half before running out of the room. When she came back she told me she had flushed it down the toilet.

I held back the tears and told myself I didn't want her at my party anyway.

A total of eight people showed up to my party. At first I saw this as a good sign, maybe these people wanted to be my friend. But they hardly took any notice in me.

Mostly, people just shoved their way to the food. Was that why they really came? I wanted to cry.

My mum found me an hour later, sat by myself at the table.

"Evie, why aren't you playing with the other boys and girls?" She asked, I took one look at the worried look on her face and decided I couldn't tell her the truth. I didn't want to upset her.

"I don't feel very well, I want to go to sleep" I said, adding a yawn for effect. She gave me a sympathetic smile and said she'd call the parents to come and collect their kids if I didn't feel any better in half an hour.

I nodded in agreement before she walked away. I was all alone, again.

**

The rest of the day dragged by slowly. By the time the bell rang signalling the end of the day, I was half asleep.

I trudged towards my locker where Brendan was already stood waiting. I opened my mouth to apologize for earlier but he cut me off.

"I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier" He said, looking into my eyes with his big brown ones.

"What're you talkin' 'bout" Carrie said as she skipped over to us, trying to put on an accent but failing miserably. I laughed, shaking my head at her.

"Nothing" Brendan replied with a grin. She pouted at him, causing him to tap her on the nose.

"Nosey" He said, to which she grinned.

Looking around me, I saw the halls were almost empty.

"We better be going" Carrie said, noticing the empty corridor just as I had.

"Bye" I said as they walked away. I quickly opened my locker and stuffed the books into my bag before closing it again.

When I walked out of the building, the whole place seemed deserted. Rain began to pour as I started off towards the gates. I cursed myself for not bringing an umbrella.

Suddenly I was yanked under the bike shelter. Josh stood in front of me, looking down at his shoes.

"You've been avoiding me. Why?" I demanded to know. I listened closely to the rain as it drummed on the plastic roof of the shelter.

Josh opened his mouth to reply before closing it again. I was about to speak again when suddenly I was shoved against the wall.

His lips were on mine, his cold hands cupping my face. Drops of rain were dripping down his face from his hair. He must have been out in the rain before he grabbed me.

"You should wear a coat or you might get sick" He whispered before pressing his lips to mine once more.

Then he walked away.