Bad Luck Magnet

From this moment

Life has begun

From this moment, you are the one

Right beside you, is where I belong

From this moment, on

*~ Shania Twain ~ From this moment ~*

Luck. Luck has never been on my side, in fact I was having bad luck before I was even born. Mum and Dad tell the story like its a funny joke your uncle tells at Christmas.

I however, do not find it funny. I'm cursed.

The night my mum went into labor, they had to call for an ambulance. Normal right? but the reason they needed an ambulance was because my dad was supposed to drive my mum to the hospital, only as soon as she opened the car door lightening struck.

It struck a tree and the tree fell onto the car. Mum was fine, dad got cut from the shattering glass of the window screen. But that car? the front was completely crushed which meant it couldn't be driven.

See what I mean? all my life I've had bad luck. I fell into things, I walked into walls, I spilled things, I got into trouble through accidents, my pets either run away or die within months.

I used to think that was all there was to it. Bad luck. Now? now I've started to notice things, like how people avoid me like I'm the plague. I never really had any friends, but I never noticed how people actually change direction if I'm coming towards them.

And the lightning, was that really just a coincidence? no. I think I'm evil, I think the gods or something was trying to prevent me from being born that night.

I don't feel evil, but I definitely had my bitchy moments. And what about that time when I was six? Sherry White stole my doll. What did I do? I bit her and pulled at her hair.

She still hisses 'freak' at me as she walks past. She never tried stealing my toys after that though, in fact she seemed scared of me if she wasn't surrounded by people.

See what I mean? a normal child would have told an adult. I'm evil and I know. its just hiding somewhere.

Really, I hope it stays hidden forever. I'm scared, I don't want to be evil.

Lately, strange things have been happening to me. It's coming. I don't want it to, but its happening. I'm turning evil.

**************

I remember the day of my grandmothers funeral. I had been stood on the wet grass beside my mother.

I wasn't listening to what was going on around me, I was going through various memories of my grammie. I'd called her grammie for as long as I could remember. It annoyed my dad to the high heavens but mum seemed to think it was cute.

Images of me baking, painting and laughing with grammie flashed through my mind. Part of me wanted to smile at the memories.

I looked up and saw a little girl with a tear stained face and a pretty black dress on.

One particular memory stuck out in my mind. I was about the same age as the girl.

"We're going to grammie Isa's" my mum told me as we crossed the street.

"Are we sleeping over?" I asked excitedly. I loved sleeping at my grammies house.

"You are" she replied with a smile.

"Where are you staying mummy?" My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Why wasn't she staying too?

"I'm staying at home with daddy, I have work tomorrow" she explained. I nodded but remained silent.

When we arrived it was close to my bed time. I wanted to stay up and talk to my grammie all night but she told me I had to go to sleep.

She took me to bed and read me one of my favourite Disney princess stories like she always did.

"Grammie Isa, do you wish you were a princess? I wish I was" I yawned, trying to will my eyes to stay open.

"Evie, every girl is a princess to some body" she replied.

"Am I a princess to you?" I asked.

"You'll always be my special princess" she whispered, kissing my head gently.

I smiled as she left the room. I snuggled down under the covers and started the game I always played when I stayed at my grammies house.

The beds had thick, pretty duvets which always made me think of princess's beds. Each night I stayed there, I pretended I was a real princess until finally I fell asleep.

The memory faded and I looked down at the empty space in the ground as they lowered her coffin. A tear slid down my face, heat radiated from my body but No one seemed to notice.

As we walked back to the car I noticed the grass where I'd been standing was now a dark brown colour. It had been burned.

Another memory flashed through my mind as I slid into the back seat of the car. This one was much more recent.

I had stomped into my grammies living room angrily. I'd popped in after school, already in a bad mood.

"Evie its his job" Grammie called from the kitchen. She'd just told me my dad was going away for a few months. I hated it when he had to leave.

I knew he had to work but it still made me mad. I grumbled under my breath in protest. My body began to heat up, for some reason I felt angrier than usual. The heat was radiating from my body in waves but I didn't notice it.

The t.v which hung on the wall began to melt at the edges. The wallpaper blistered around it and the paint on the mantle peice bubbled. My eyes widened in shock, my anger fading quickly. Was I doing that?

I quickly left my grammies house, running the whole way home before shutting myself in my bedroom. What had just happened?

A few days later grammie was dead. I hadn't been told how it had happened but I got the feeling my mum was keeping something from me. Had I killed her somehow?