Bad Luck Magnet - 3

I go crazy, crazy, baby, I go crazy

You turn it on

Then you're gone

Yeah you drive me

Crazy, crazy, crazy, for you baby

What can I do, honey

I feel like the color blue

~*~ Aerosmith ~ Crazy ~*~

Walking into school on Monday, people were different. Everyone was staring at me as I walked through the corridor. It wasn't unusual for people to give me disgusted stares as I walked by them, but these wern't the usual stares.

They were looking at me with sympathy and whispering things to each other. Still, no one spoke to me. I was still the outcast.

The day was passing slowly, I slumped down on my stool when I got to science.

"Ok, today we will be carrying on from Fridays practicle seeing as we didn't get to finish." Mr Barton said to the class. I looked around to see everyone moving to sit with a partner.

I raised my hand, "Mr Barton, I wasn't here on Friday."

He nodded, looking as though he'd just remembered I was here.

"Brendan, could you pair up with Evie today?", he called to the boy at the back who had messy, mouse brown hair and deep brown eyes. He walked over to me and sat down without a word. Bredan wasn't like the others. He didn't stare in disgust, he simply ignored everyone but Carrie.

They were really close, I assumed she was his girlfriend. They sit together at lunch and it's like they don't even notice anything that goes on around them.

Carrie was a really pretty girl with dyed red hair and big blue eyes, she seemed nice. I remember this one time, at band camp....just kidding.

This one time in year seven, Sherry had dumped her lunch over me. She wore a huge smirk on her face but you could see the hint of fear in her eyes, worried that I'd attack her again. Everyone laughed.

Carrie had found me crying in the toilets and let me borrow her P.E t - shirt. I hadn't spoken to her since.

Brendan began to explain the work to me, going briefly over everything from Friday. When he was done explaining, he went to fetch the equiptment we needed.

"I heard about your Grandma" he said, his brown eyes gazing deeply into my eyes. I nodded slowly as I began to meassure out the two different liquids.

"I just wanted to let you know, you can come to me if you need anyone to talk to" he said as he watched me. I nodded again before setting down the beaker I held.

"Thank you" I mumbled. We fell into a some what comfortable silence.

He looked like he was about to speak again when the bell rang. As soon as Mr Barton said we could leave, I hurried out of the room. I stopped by my locker before going to the lunch hall. When I got there I heard someone calling my name. When I turned to see who it was, I saw Brendan waving at me from his table.

I groaned as I walked over. I wasn't sure if he really wanted to talk to me or if he just felt sorry for me.

"Yes?" I questioned when I reached the table.

"Sit with us" He said, grinning at me. I looked at Carrie who was sitting beside him, also smiling at me. I shrugged and sat down. I pulled my lunch from my bag and sat silently, chewing on my sandwich.

"This is Carrie" Brendan said, guesturing his hand towards her.

"I know" I said with a nod. Carrie laughed at the embarrassed look on his face and I couldn't hep but smile along with her.

The pair started firing questions at me, what music was I in to ect. It was like they were really trying to get to know me. Like they wanted to be my friends, they were even smiling the whole time. This had never happened to me before. I answered their questions with a grin on my face. I have friends! I think.

About half way through lunch, A guy I'd never seen before walked into the room. Ok. I didn't know everyone in the school, but I was sure he hadn't gone here before my week off. He had short, dark hair with a long fringe which covered one of his piercing blue eyes.

"Who's that?" I said, staring at the unknown boy.

"That's Josh. He just moved here, started on Thursday" Carrie informed me, "Isn't he cute?"

My head whipped round to face Brendan who just nodded and smiled. My eyes widened, didn't he care that his girlfriend was looking at another guy?

"Um. Aren't you two..you know, together?" I said, guesturing between them both. Carrie burst out laughing while Brendan just smiled in amusment at her outburst.

"No. We're just friends" He answered, returning his gaze to me.

"Oh" was all I said. Now I felt stupid.

"We've known each other since birth" Carrie told me, "Unfortunately" she added, giving Brendan a playful shove. He shoved her back, shaking his head. They carried on joking around with each other after that, they were pretty funny together. I admired their friendship.

After that, the day passed by pretty quick. Carrie was in my last lesson and had asked me to sit with her. I found out loads more about her and Brendan and I felt like I was already starting to be close with them. She even told me embarrassing secrets from their childhood which had us laughing so hard the teacher had to tell us to be quiet. Twice.

I'd never been told to stop talking by a teacher, I'd never had anyone to talk to in lesson before.

At the end of the day, I walked home with a smile on my face for the first time. When I got home, mum was sat in the living room drinking coffee. She turned to me, catching the smile my lips held.

"Good day at school?" She asked.

"I made some new friends" I nodded. I'd never told my parents I didn't have friends, I never said anything to them about school. They probably guessed from my lack of a social life anyway. A smile stretched upon my mums face.

"Tell me about them!" She ordered excitedly.

After a long run over my day, we went to make dinner together. We ate in a comfortable silence until mum put down her fork and sat gazing at me.

"What?" I asked.

"I spoke to your dad today, he knows" she replied quietly.

"How did he take it?" I set down my fork, now interested in the conversation.

"Well, he was upset. Definitely shocked, but he's ok" she smiled. She had missed him just as much as I had.

"That's good" I returned her smile.

She furrowed her eyebrows, "It won't be for another few weeks though".

I nodded, that's where the conversantion died. Once I was finished, I rinsed off my plate and headed upstairs.

A smile made its way onto my lips once again. I had new friends, my dad was coming home early and my mum was starting to smile again. Maybe my luck was changing.

I tripped up the last stair just as the thought crossed my mind and fell into the wall beside me, maybe not.

I was just finishing up my homework when a sudden wave of fatigue washed over me. I glaced over at the clock on my bed stand and saw it was quarter to ten.

I put my books away and climbed into bed with a yawn.

"Night grammie" I whispered into the darkness before falling asleep.