CHAPTER ONE

A soft thud echoed through the narrow hallway resulting a small bruise on the pale skin of the slender woman falling down the stairs as softly as she can.

She cursed under breath as she quietly tiptoed through the hallway to find her suitcase, coat and shoes neatly hidden in the pantry.

With a grimace she put on her shoes, unable to hide the disappointment of having to do everything in secret, just because of that one person. But she understood her, she knew why she had to do this and despite the minor reluctance that hid behind every action.

"Did you really think I wouldn't notice?" A cold voice erupted from the living room. As a kid caught stealing a cookie her eyes turned wide as she slowly revealed herself from behind the corner.

The piece of entry paper was crumbled under her petite hands as one tear rolled down her eye.

"I can explain it," she mumbled softly almost inaudibly as she rushed to the table. Her mother snickered bitterly as she looked up, not being able to hide her tears any longer.

"I wasn't—"

"So this was all the sneaking behind my back was about," She bit her lip and looked into the eyes of daughter as she pressed her lips now in a thin line to prevent the waterfall of tears.

"Mom I—" she tried as she reached to her mother, but she slapped away the hand.

"It's not necessarily that you'rs leave, but the fact that you kept all of this secret because—" she choked on her tears, the lump in her throat growing bigger as she felt the distance between her and her own daughter grow, just the way it felt like when she lost her husband... ex-husband. 

If she'd let go now, she won't be able to retrieve her back. All she had was her, but now even her despite trying to shower her with love to keep her close, a thing she thought she did wrong with her ex-husband, she tried to leave. Eventually everyone would leave, wether it'd be by choice or not.

What did she had to do? Lock her up so she could stop lying awake every night, checking up on her daughter if she was still there?

"Mom," her voice broke the train of thoughts occupying her mind.

"I don't know what you're thinking about, but not everyone is like dad,"

Dad. The word echoed through her ears. How could she call that man "dad", he hadn't been there for ten years in their life and still they contact each other.

"I don't want you to leave," she breathed out, crumbling the piece of paper again, as she looked up with a stern face. The girl bit her lip before making them disappear in a thin line as she pressed them on esch other.

She'd known her mom would be like this, hence why she tried to avoid all this. She knew that her mom had separation-anxiety, but it was hard for her to keep putting her goals on hold just because her mom didn't want to let go of her.

"You know I'll come—"

"I told you to search out an university in Busan, that way you can still live home and be—"

"Mom," she snapped back as she clenched the handle of her suitcase in her hand. She looked at her mother, avoiding her gaze.

"Mom," she now said softer as she took a deep breath.

"I already told you, just like Mrs. Ha said; there are no universities that are on my level. You want me to get educated, right?"

"But Seoul is so far and I have everything—"

"I can't believe you can't even give me this! I've been living my entire life your way! You've always told me to not engage in social activities! You've kept me from friends and extracurricular activities! What do you want me to do?! Live with you until we both fucking die of old age?! This is exactly why everyone left you!"

The words echoed through the empty house, returning to stab the mother in the back like dull, but sharp enough knives as they started to sting painfully. The younger female paused and her eyes flickered with a mixture of anger and sadness. Tears welled up, and breathing became harder.

For a moment it stayed deadly silent, early in the morning, and the only thing you could hear was the neighbours cat pathetic miaowing.

Finally the mother cut the thick and unbearable silence.

"Is that—"

"Yes that's how I feel," the younger woman cut her off taking the suitcase and prying the entry paper out of her mother's hand.

"Yang Y/N,"

Her mom said sternly, trying so hard to remain calm and strong, despite the many wounds her daughter had opened.

Was she really that bad? Was she really the villain of her story?

Y/N stopped for a moment, her feet coming to a pause in the doorframe as she looked at her mom, still sitting silently in the chair as her hands balled into fists.

"Yang Y/N— Don't leave..." her voice cracked, the last part of her sentence becoming inaudible as her voice turned into the soft mumble. The young woman hesitated for a second as she looked back at her mother's frail figure sitting at the kitchen table, breaking any moment by now.

Y/N bit her lip and clenched her entry paper before closing the door. Only this time she wanted something for herself, she wanted freedom, she wanted to study. She had always lived her life for her mom, thinking about her by every decision she made, now she was tired.

And it was not like she was going to leave her mom forever. She knew it would play out like this, and all she hoped now was that her mom would understand her decision.

She bit her lip, clenching the entry paper as she closed the door. Silence filled the air again, and she heard her mom running to the door, but stopping with a loud thud, before hearing her mom's soft sobs.

Y/N clenched her teeth and gripped her suitcase as she started walking towards the front porch, opening the door and not stopping again.