Chapter#18: The princess bride: Revelations

Start from the beginning

"Oh... You found it."

Startled by the voice of the person who he was sure shouldn't be in this dream, the device slipped from his hand, only to be caught by a small feminine one. A couple of giggles and some shuffle of clothes later had Inés—or his dream version of her—sitting next to him.

"I really thought you would have thrown it away the moment you found it." Her voice was breezy and calm and, oddly, it filled him with a feeling of tranquility, despite their surroundings and the on-going gunfight.

"I believed it too..." Alucard answered, a bit lost in thought. Wondering why on earth he would want to keep anything of hers. The girl was clearly annoying at best and, although it provided him with an amusing distraction, he didn't think any more of her... Did he?

"Did you?" The vampire quickly rose his head and made eye contact with the girl for the first time. The rest of the space was foggy, and even Walter's face was unrecognizable. She seemed so bright and sharp by contrast, the smile on her face wrinkling the skin around her eyes. "Liar." Her smirk widened even more, if that was even possible.

It was distracting to say the least. So distracting he didn't hear the falling bomb over the muffled radio until it was too late. The projectile hit the helicopter and the only thing he was fast enough for was standing up and reaching out for her.

He missed her bloodied hand and the Spanish girl fell to the void.

"INÉS!"

Alucard woke up with a start and breathing quite heavily for someone who didn't need to. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair and face. If he could, he was sure he'd be sweating. What did that dream mean? He cared for the girl now? So what? He'd definitely felt his gut clench when she'd fallen all bloody and—

Alucard shook his head. No, he didn't want to think about it.

He looked around and found he was in yet another familiar place (not the real world, though), as he could recognize the ruined and decaying castle walls, covered in cobwebs and dust.

So, still dreaming? When was the last time I slept this much?

With that thought, the vampire rose from his coffin and walked out into the lower parts of the building where the dining room was located.

The radio song was still present. How odd.

Not two steps into the dining room, he met the figure of a woman in a gown. The obviously young adult had her back to him, but Alucard somehow knew who it was. Gritting his teeth in an attempt to get a grip on his still raging emotions, the old-looking vampire approached who could not be anyone else but Inés. He had to admit that the evening gown he had come up with was beautiful, its fabric a cream-like colour, straplessly wrapped around her, which complemented her quite nicely.

She turned around at the sound of his echoing footsteps, and he could see the rest of her. The fashion of the late 1800s suited her just fine. Although if she was going to feature in this particular dreamscape, he would rather see her in a different state of... dress. Particularly what one of his harem brides used to wear. He could feel a smirk creeping onto his face, so he coughed and sat down at the otherwise empty table.

Seeing as the Spanish girl didn't move an inch, Alucard frowned and nervously fiddled with his hairy hands. God, he hated this ancient and ugly form, why had he chosen it while at Transylvania?*

"Are you not going to invite me to sit at your table, my Lord?" Coughing awkwardly and a bit annoyed at her attitude, he motioned for the chair closest to him.

"Sit." It came out more like an order than a request. "And, please, drop the formalities, we know each other."

He smirked and let his eyes roam her silhouette as she sat, lingering on the exposed cleavage and neck. He quickly averted his gaze when it made contact with hers. It surprised the vampire to find she was not offended or had become violent, as he was sure she'd have if they were in the real world.