You're Not For Sale

Magsimula sa umpisa

"This must be a sign that I have no future. I don't have to restart anymore." She said and got off the bus on the next stop. There's a huge building which is just right for her. She has finally given up in everything and entered the building.

She ignored the people staring at her and proceeds to the elevator pushing the highest floor. The rooftop. Today she will finally end everything not because she wanted to die. She just want to end the pain.

She wasn't even asking for a comfortable life. She just wanted to lessen the pain. She just want less suffering, but it seems like it's not for her.

She stood by the ledge ready to say goodbye to everything.

"One last cigarette." She whispered to herself and took a cigarette from her cigarette pack. It's such a shame because she still has a lot. When she's looking for her lighter in her pocket. She digged Ni-ki's present instead. It's a brownie with a note on top.

I baked this last night. This is a lucky brownie. Eat it. You're so lucky you have me. This will get you the job. Thank me later. It'll get better. -Ni-ki

She smiled at the note but tears escaped her eyes. "I'm sorry Ni-ki, I wasn't strong enough." She said and was about to jump.

"Hey! No smoking in this building!" Someone yelled at him.

She turned and saw a young man in a suit. He must be an employee in this building.

"I wasn't." She said but the cigarette between her fingers tells the opposite.

The tears running down her cheeks made the guy worry. She's also at the ledge which is not a good sign. "This is a bad omen for a business if you die here." He said pulling her down by force.

Bad omen?

That's what he's worried about. May smiled because she knew that this guy is worried about the business, not a person who's about to commit suicide.

"We can talk about this. Tell me what's the problem." He asked her. It's such a simple question but why is it so hard to answer. May just didn't want to think anymore. She didn't want to make up some story that she's fine and she's just here for a nice view. She's tired.

"I'm in pain but I'm not bleeding. I'm hurt but I can't tell where! There are you happy?" Her cry became louder. She has finally admitted that she's not fine.

The guy stared at her unable to respond anything. He obviously can't relate. He stared at her from head to toe and noticed that she's dressed up for an interview. The blazer says it all.

"Your eyes must be in pain." He said which stopped May from crying and sobbed in silence.

"Excuse me?" She asked in between painful sobs.

The guy held her hand spinning her. "Seeing your reflection with such an unstylish clothes must've hurt your eyes." He told her.

May got more annoyed than sad. She was so sure she wanted to die earlier, but now she's more determined to strangle this man.

"Are you here for the secretary position? You're early." He said checking his expensive looking watch. "It doesn't start until 2PM. It's still 8AM." He told her. "Give me your resume." He said reaching out a hand.

May clutched at the folder she's holding that holds her credentials and her resume.

The guy grabbed it rudely from her.

"Lee May. You worked as a nurse for five years? That's quite impressive, you're a frontliner and you've worked at the same hospital since you got tour license. Loyal, I like it." He said as he flipped the pages and saw her certificates and her qualifications. "Knows first aid, basic life support, and based in the Intensive Care Unit." He nodded his head then left her there.

May wasn't sure what happened but she's not in the mood to end her life now. She exited the building and just went straight home. As usual, her mother went to qork, her step-father as well. Ni-ki's probably in school too. She'a once again all alone. She continued her sleep to rest.

She didn't wake up until night time. When she woke up for dinner, she was surprised with a cake and balloons.

"Congratulations." Her family greeted her making her more awful and disappointed with herself.

She wanted to tell them that she missed the interview so they won't expect too much but he's interrupted by the phone ringing.

She volunteered to answer to escape them. "Lee residence, Lee May speaking." She answered.

"This is JJ Fashion. We are pleased to inform you that you have a place in our company. We'd be honored if you report here tomorrow at 7AM on the CEO's office for your final interview, tour, job introduction, and signing of contract." A woman told her.

"Wait, an interview?" She asked.

"Yes Ma'am. You're the first choice for the position you applied for. Many would kill for this position and you're the first priority. Thank you for your time." She woman responds then hung up.

May turned around and saw her family anxious about the phone call.

"I think I got in." She said happily.

They all jumped in celebration. "See, my brownie is lucky." Ni-ki told him.