Time

A/N: Set in post-jail Blindspottingverse. Anything italic is a flashback. Lmk if you want more of baby girl Shy :)

ASHLEY, OAKLAND CA, 2025.

It's been 8 years since Miles left San Quentin State Prison. 8 years since he's been out and it feels like nothing has changed.

Well, almost.

Sean is 13 now. Shiloh is turning 3 soon. Miles and I were able to have a [real] wedding with friends and family showering us with nothing but love. Trish acted a fool, per usual. All that matters is we're okay now. Maybe even more than okay. Miles has successfully taken over Commander Moving and made it his own as I was able to go back to school to get a degree in Social Work, where I currently am passionately pursuing what I have grown to love most, being a Child and Youth Social Worker. When Miles got out, all that we thought about is how much time we lost. Time, time, time, and how we can't waste any more. We decided to press play on the wild movie that is our lives, and never look back.

At one point through it all, I truly didn't know what I was doing. There were days when I missed him so much, and yet all there was a faraway ghost of what we used to be. There were days that were hard. Hard on me, hard on Miles, and unbelievably hard on Sean.

I woke up to the sounds of soft crying coming from Miles' old room. Slowly making my way upstairs, I opened the door and saw Sean, bundled up in blankets with tears streaming down his cheeks.

The sight nearly broke my heart.

"Baby what's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked him as I knelt down beside his bed and wrapped him in a hug.

"I miss dad." he cried with round eyes.

"I know honey, I know. We can go see him tomorr-" I began before I was interrupted.

"I want him here, mama. I don't want to go the- the big scary place anymore. I just want him here to read me stories and make funny sh- shadows. I want him here." My son said as he cried into my neck.

At this point, I didn't know what to tell him to console him. Your dad will be home soon? Don't cry? This is all just a sick version of hide-and-seek that Mommy and Daddy are playing to purposely torture our greatest creation? 

No. I didn't possibly know what to say to make this little boy feel better, but as a mother should, I tried to render an answer.

"I know. I know you do baby." I said as I shifted him to lay down in my arms. "I know it's hard, right?"

He nods, so I continue.

"Right. But I want you to know that he misses you more than anything, okay? He wants to be home with you too, but he can't just yet. You know what though?" I ask.

"What?" Sean replies.

"He loves you more than anything in this whole world. He would cross the ocean for you, you know."

The sentiment puts the smallest of smiles on Sean's face, with him replying "The ocean?"

"The ocean."

There were days when I needed Miles to be here, to be present, but that wasn't a possibility. It almost felt as if we were being sucked into the deepest of black holes with a point of no return.

"I need you, Miles. I can't do this alone. I don't know what I'm doing anymore."

I heard him sigh sadly on the other end of the phone.

"I know baby. I'm sorry. I miss you always though."

"I miss you too."

As if on cue, Miles garners my attention by saying "You're my wife now, remember? So that means on top of the kid shit and the loyal to the soil shit, you come before anything. I promise that the minute I get out of here imma set things right, okay Ash? I love you. Imma do it for you."