A Baby?

A/N: Happy Friday! This one had been on my mind for a while so here you go. I have a few other prompts up my sleeve so expect those soon. Huge thank you to Nai for being my brain and giving me this prompt :)

Ashley wrung her hands as she waited for her boyfriend to get home. Boyfriend...and now baby-daddy. Swimmer giver. Father of her child. Whatever name her brain mustered up, the nervousness surrounding telling her best friend that they're having a baby was undeniable.

The morning sickness had been coming for weeks now, prompting the idea that she may have been pregnant. With Miles oblivious to it all with his odd working hours and constantly running mind, Ashley was able to put off taking a test and try her best to ignore the symptoms.

She didn't know if it was out of fear or out of excitement, but the concept of actually knowing the result was pushed aside until the symptoms got so bad that she desperately needed to know for sure. Exactly 7 hours and 14 minutes later, after almost half a day to sit with her thoughts, Ashley awaited the return of Miles from the couch in the living room.

Ashley truly didn't know what to expect in the reaction from Miles. They've known each other since they were 16, kids essentially, and have grown both individually and together, celebrating milestone after milestone as the most important person to one another. Now being 26 years old with a somewhat steady job, Ashley didn't know if she was a hundred percent ready to welcome a baby into this world, but she did know she was prepared to love and care for her child no matter what.

Thinking about Miles, Ashley knew he'd been struggling to keep up with work and life nowadays. The everchanging city of Oakland brought many more threats to Miles's temper than Ashley, Collin, Rainey, and any other passing citizen could handle. Knowing this fact, Ashley was conflicted on rather Miles would be excited or dreadful to welcome a child into this crazy world of theirs.

Interrupting her racing mind, the sound of keys in the door alerted her that her partner was home. "Baby?" Miles called from the door. "Where you at?"

"The couch!" Ashley answered, staying in the same spot and waiting for him to follow the noise. Upon seeing his longtime girlfriend, Miles felt relief wash over him as he made his way over to her, kissing her with a smile.

"I missed you, beautiful." He said as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, the gesture making Ashley smile despite the pit of nerves rushing through her. "I missed you too. How was your day?"

At her question, Miles groaned and buried his head in her shoulder. "Ugh man...it was hella wack. I mean, we got some shit job from this hot yoga, matcha drinking ass, SoulCycle, white girl who just threw her junk 'n shit at us. That shit was so hard to hassle man, I swear I broke my back. I just need some good news right now because today was a complete ass."

Ashley smiled sympathetically, stroking his hair as she offered comfort after his long day. "Well," she began. "I have...news. But I'm not sure how you'll take it."

Picking his head up from her shoulder, Miles looked into her eyes while asking, "What is it?"

The words spoken by her boyfriend caused that nervousness in Ashley's chest to triple. Her mind was racing with questions that didn't even make sense to her. Will he be happy? What if he actually never wanted a baby? Will he be upset? Will he leave me?

Pulling her from her thoughts, Miles' hand on her cheek set her back into reality. "Baby, what's wrong?" He asked with concern. Taking his hand, Ashley decided to tell him at that moment, despite her fears. She looked into his eyes with sureness, saying, "I love you, okay?"

Now, Miles had no clue what she was about to tell him, but he was sure that he loved her. "I love you too baby, you know that." The sentiment brought a small smile to Ashley's face as she took a deep breath.

Looking into his eyes again, she squeezed his hand as she let the words tumble out of her mouth. "I'm pregnant?" The sentiment came out more like a question as she squeezed his hand, searching his face for a response. Miles paused, his face in a state of shock. "Y-you're..."

"Pregnant. Yeah. I'm sorry I didn't tell you earlier. Please don't be mad. I just found out today. Well, I've had symptoms for two weeks but I didn't know for sure and-" Ashley rambled quickly before Miles interrupted her. "A baby? W-we're really having a baby?" He asked, tears beginning to form in his eyes as a smile broke out across his face.

And Miles never cried.

Upon seeing the state that the news left her boyfriend in, Ashley herself was brought to tears. She squeezed his hand with a smile. "Yeah baby, we are." Miles quickly brought his hands up to cup her cheeks and wipe her tears.

"Oh my god baby, we're parents!" He exclaimed, kissing her once and pulling back to wipe the rest of her falling tears. "I'm gonna be a dad. Oh my god."

To say they were happy was an understatement. They were overjoyed. They were excited. They were optimistic. Not everything may have been perfect, but at that moment it felt perfect.

Later, when the excitement had died down but the anticipation was still at a high, Miles and Ashley lay in bed, wrapped in each other's arms. It seemed to Ashley that his hand hadn't left her stomach since she broke the news, softly stroking the skin there even though no bump was present.

Interrupting the comfortable silence, Miles spoke. "You're gonna be such a great mama, baby. I already know that." Smiling, Ashley lifted her head from his neck and replied, "Really?"

She laid her head back down into the crook of his neck, his hand coming up to push the curls out of her face and kiss her forehead. "Oh yeah. You boutta be the best mom, we boutta be hella fly as parents, and everything is gonna work out, aight? We're gonna be okay."

Content at his statement, Ashley replied with the same. "We're gonna be okay. I love you."

"I love you too, baby."

The beginning of their future together had just begun, and their love was soon to grow to be shared between the now three of them.

(1097 Words.)