CHAPTER 20 A key to the past

Start from the beginning

"What I did was-" I start, but she's ready to rain squares of black charcoal on me.

"You complained about me, to the damn founder of the hospital. And I was done for," she crossed her legs tight, one above another, "Of course. It's not your fault if they take a sick girl's word over her doctor's. Not if the sick girl was splurged and spoilt with heaps of money."

Her words cut through an innate sense of me, "You know it wasn't like that."

"Yes. Because it was your father who was so keen on me going. He was always against me-" she slips, but stops, realising who she was talking to, "Probation. I served probation. Even after they couldn't find anything wrong with me, they shifted me 3 floors down, Annika. Three Freaking floors down. Because you thought, I was too 'Provoking'? That was the word you used right?"

I stare at the ground, feeling ashamed for the first time in forever.

Dr. Ekta handles herself, in a breath, and. she's back, "Where do you-"

My phone starts ringing. It's Shivay. I can talk to him later, so I lower the volume, stacking it away.

However, that catches the doctor's eye, "Who was that?"

"No one. Just an office worker," I try playing it off as casual, but she squints her eyes, leaning closer.

"Name?"

"Shivay," I stretch back. That's when my phone pings again. Thrice, one after the other. It's Shivay again, messaging me.

-What location is our said date scheduled on?

-No wait. I have an amazing place in mind.

-So be ready for some top-level distraction coming your way.

I put my phone on silent mode and close the phone up.

Maybe I should just cancel this date thing. He sounds so hopeful, while I'm here, fighting my past with words rather than a shovel.

When I look at Ekta, she looks pretty shaken up. Like she's seen a ghost. Or cut into raw green chilli.

She knows something, something about Shivay.

The next second, her face shifts back to bland, "So Annika. Who is he?" she innocently asks, even though she knows Shivay.

"He's aaa- complicated."

"I thought you said he worked for you. What's so complicated about that?"

So many questions. I huffed out a breath, coughing apart my words, "It's never easy with you, is it."

"You could say that in front of a mirror and it would still be valid," she smiled, sticking her lips together.

I tsked, "He did work for me, but I fired him. He's been behind me for some time, trying to impress me for some reason," I give a long sigh. If only Shivay could see me lying right now, "I keep telling him off, but the guy just doesn't take a hint." I put all the rage sitting at use, gained from months of confusion and agony.

The doctor is quiet, trying to see through me by her piercing gaze.

But I'm not as transparent and weak as before. I'm better now. I prefer being translucent.

She'll see the sides I let her. And After, I will walk out of here with all of me intact.

A hand snaps me back to attention, "So have you told him yet?"

"Who? Shivay?"

"Yes, about what you remembered." I strike to attention at her words.

What the hell. How does she know-