Chapter 16 - Homecoming

My heart was beating at the mileage of a racing car. I turned to my companion, "Shivay. Start the car."

I could see him thinking before the engine roared. But not many thoughts sped through my mind.

I was jogging through the times I hugged him. My dad. His smile whenever I returned from a trip. That feeling of safety I got, when I slept with knowing someone was there if I ever fell. But those memories weren't enough. I needed so much more.

"Can you speed it up," I shout.

"I'm trying!" Shivay shouts back.

What if my dad stops fighting before I reach. What if he does after?

I can't...I can't let myself think like that. The wind hits my face as Shivay is speeding like hell. His whole body is in action as he drives to the airport.

The sun is overhead. We reach to the airport without any luggage. I stand in the line at the ticket, "Shivay, I think you should stay back. The business-,"

"I am coming with you. Tarun will understand. There's no need to do this alone."

He is so annoying. Why won't he just listen for once?

"You don't need to care about me."

It comes out more bitter than I mean to. He swallows, frozen in place as I rush forward.

"One ticket for Mumbai. It's urgent. Any flight works, Sir."

And that was that. When I turned, Shivay was gone, zapped like a fairy.

I thought he would stay. That stubborn man would already argue, maybe not even listen to my stupid words. But he was gone.

Just like that, he was gone.

***

Annika settled early on the plane. She bought a few things from the airport and ruminated on messaging Shivay. The phone flimsily dodging in her hand, "No I'm not texting him."

She opened a water bottle and drank a considerable amount.

When she tipped it down, a blur figure walked in just as the plane announced their last calls. Annika held her head in frustration.

Because the person she refused to text, refused to leave her alone.

"Why? Just why?" Annika rolled her eyes at Shivay.

"Don't-," a tiny grin appearing on his face.

"Don't Say Why. Just say Shivay," Annika mimed, making fun of him.

Shivay stared at her, wide-eyed, "Perfect."

***

I slept through the entire flight.

I was so tired of being stressed. I think I frustrated myself into sleeping too much.

When I wake up, the flight lands almost turbulently. Shivay is still seated one row ahead. He got his ticket separate so we weren't sitting together.

Economy is not so spacious but moderately comfortable. I can't believe I fit right in here. Like I've sat in economy a million times. No dreams or nightmares this time. Thank God for that.

Although every second feels like a thousand more, we landed quick. I get up from my seat, after everyone has ushered out. Except him.

He turns to me. But I never speak to him.

Instead, I walk out of the airplane doors, then the stairs leading to the airport. I didn't even look for the baggage claim, as we have none. Only some earplugs, a pillow, and my purse.