Life is random at the most unwanted times

Comenzar desde el principio

When we nearly reached my street, I saw Olly freezing and then smirking. I looked around and I saw Carla and her boyfriends’ older friends holding cans of beer. “OY OLLY, YOU WITH YOURRR GIRLFRIEND?” Carla’s voice echoed violently down the empty road. I could tell she was drunk; the staggering and falling made it obvious. “Carla mind your own business in actual fact she is NOT, ok?” Olly yelled back. Carla looked at me and cruelly smiled, “How’s your dad? Is he still providing money for your family? It doesn’t look like it,” she disgustedly pointed at my torn jeans. I glared at her and looked her up and down; sparkly jewellery and short shorts. “If to want to know ,Carla, THESE are still clothes you understand? Yes, spoilt kid, you have Dior shoes and Channel skirts, but who do I care?” I replied back to her. “OY LADY DON’T YOU GO HATIN’ ON MY BABY!” shouted Carla’s sixth-form boyfriend. I came up to him and snatched his packet of cigarettes away and threw them in the gutter and then before he could punch me, I jumped up and threw him over my shoulder – five years of learning karate helps after all. His can of alcohol splashed over my trainers and Carla yelped loudly. “You’re getting into trouble, CHAV!” Carla stared at me blankly, “You can’t touch me because I got mates to stop you!” I gestured over to one of her “mates” and shrugged. “Erm... I gotta go, Carla babe,” her “mates” shiftily looked at me and ran away. “I guess it’s you and me alone.....”I smiled innocently at her. “Erm... I need to go to,” Carla murmured. Olly stepped forwards but just as he was going to shove her away, the fire alarm went off.

I rushed into the kitchen remembering mum’s cake. “OH GREAT!” I stared at the smoke filled kitchen and turned on the ventilation. “You alright?” Olly said as he made his way to take it out of the oven. He placed the burnt skeleton of cake on the table and murmured, “This can’t be good, can it?” I shook my head and shrugged. “We can somehow make a new one.....” I sighed. He smiled, “OR.... we could pop into Sainsbury’s and buy one of the posh cakes for your replacement cake.”                                I nodded, “good thinking, good thinking..”

It was seven o’clock when we arrived at Sainsbury’s and we wandered around the cake section. “HOWWWWLLLLL, whine whine” Maxi was whimpering outside as we left. “He would stop whining if we buy him a bone,” Olly  said while walking off into the pet area. I was wondering what my mum would say if she found a expensive cake lying there on the table….. “HOWWWWLLLLL, YAP YAP!” I looked out of Sainsbury’s window; one of Carla’s many boyfriends was tormenting Maxi. I suddenly saw Olly outside too – probably talking sense into him. I turned back to the cake selection…. Cheesecakes, Chocolate Éclairs, Treacle caramel cake…… “OI, Mike, a random dog just ran into the store! Get security!” that sentence freezed me and I dropped the double cream cake I was holding, then I ran outside. “Olly, what happened?” I asked. I found him breathing heavily and leaning against the wall. “Huh? Am I missing something? Why is Carla’s boyfriend lying half dead on the floor?” I questioned quickly and snapped my fingers in front of his eyes but Olly just stared blankly forward, “Hellloooo? You there? OLLY YOUR DOG JUST RAN INTO A STORE!?” He just looked at me once and ran into Sainsbury’s. I poked Carla’s boyfriend and he winced, “Your Carla’s boyfriend right?” He nodded whilst writhing in agony. “Wow, I feel real sorry for you , I mean how do you stand how she shrieks at you, or nags at you, or—” I felt a tap on my shoulder. “Heya, Tanya!” it was my best friend Rhianna. “Erm….Hey… you caught me at the wrong time.” I pointed at Carla’s boyfriend who had blood trickling slowly from his nose. “WHAT?! Tanya you know you can get involved with the police, right?” Rhianna asked whilst chewing her lip. Olly came bumbling out with Maxi with his head down, “Erm… Hi… I’ve learned a good lesson; never bring Maxi ANYWHERE!” Maxi ran up to Rhianna, with a bone in his mouth and, madly ran round her. “Gah!” Rhianna yelped.                                                                                                                                                                  

“OY YOU CREEPS! HELP ME HERE OR I WILL RING THE POLICE! OLLY, YOU ASSAULTED MEE!” Carla’s boyfriend broke the silence. Olly shrugged, “Hmp. He was being creepy and stealing Maxi to sell for money so he could have more drugs! I mean how freaky is that?!” Olly dug deep into Carla’s boyfriend’s pocket and held what looked like fine white powder. “OMG!” Rhianna jumped back, “I’m not going to be involved in this, neither should you Tanya!” I was suddenly aware of what was going around me: Olly just beat up Carla’s boyfriend out of annoyance; Carla’s boyfriend is a secret drug dealer; we still have not brought the replacement cake…. THE REPLACEMENT CAKE! I swore to myself and looked at my watch, it said seven thirty – that’s when Mum comes home – CRAP! I dropped even more into a “stressy mood” when I realised I have not done my history homework. My life always got worse and worse somehow. Olly was getting rid of the drugs out of Carla’s boyfriend’s pocket while Rhianna was doing a panic dance. I decided to do something helpful –  hang on where’s Maxi?

                                                                                   ****

“Oh Tanya!” my mum sighed. Damn, she’s going to yell, she’s going to yell. I winced as she sighed even more at the burnt skeleton of crumbling cake.  My mum smiled – hang on, WHAT? She smiled? “Tanya, that’s very sweet of you to go and cause trouble only to buy an expensive cake!” She looked at the perfectly iced layers and looked at the receipt. “WHA? Tanya you spent TWENTY FIVE POUNDS OF YOUR POCKET MONEY ON THIS?!” I nodded very creeped out by my mum’s quick mood swings. “Erm.... long story, but you needn’t know.” My mum shrugged and walked to the oven. Yum…. I could smell Moroccan curry. “Sorry to cause any trouble, Mrs Kindley,” Olly said in a polite manner. He shifted his feet guiltily. “Oh no, dear, it is a pleasure seeing that Tanya has made new friends and you are very welcome here,” my mum said with a smile. Olly followed me into the study and I gave him a photocopy of my battered history worksheet.

“Thanks for the help,” Olly said after when we finished the worksheet and eaten curry. “Aw, Olly is a real angel,” my mum chatted randomly to me after he had left. “Maybe,” I said whilst shrugging. I remembered his calm blue eyes and his warm smile.....I feel a weird emotion; I think I am in love. Wait, that sounds weird and I don’t think I have ever said that before….