Chapter Fifteen: "Moonstruck"

Start from the beginning

It was common knowledge that albino animals were most likely to die because they couldn't blend into their environment. In the Valley of lush green forests, he hadn't been a good hunter because of it. All his prey had always spotted him. Which was partly why his mother had told him to rely on his speed growing up. Almost all the werewolves in the Valley were dark colors or mixes of dark colors. From shades of brown to shades of grey to solid blacks. Looking back at Bill, he saw that he'd changed into a light brown werewolf. His fur was so light that it almost looked red in the moonlight, making his dark brown eyes look deep and captivating. Bill didn't howl, he just sank down from his back legs to walk on all fours over to him. Sean scooted away from him, his tail wedging between his legs. Bill sniffed him, then licked his ear before walking toward the woods in the opposite direction from the Festival. Sean's ears perked up as he watched him. Where was he going? Was he not going to join the pack for the midnight mate hunt? Rising to all fours, he trotted after him. Right about now, Omegas would be running off to hide, and the Alphas and Betas would soon run after them to see if they could find and catch them.

It was a stupid game that prompted other Alphas and Betas into finding and capturing their mates by their smell. Resulting in 'claiming' bites and mating. Then the puppy Bunny Hunt would start, before the final fireworks to end off the festival. Did Bill not know that? Bill stopped just inside the wood line, glancing back over his shoulder. Sean stopped short, his ears falling back as he sat down. Did he not want to be followed? Bill's muzzle broke out into a wolfish grin, before he rushed off into the woods. Sean's ears perked back up as the wolf in him got the impression that he WANTED him to chase him. Snorting, Sean bolted to his feet and ran after him. He would regret this. He was fast. He'd catch him in no time. The second he ran into the dark woods though, he lost sight of him. Skidding to a stop, Sean swallowed. This was bad. How did he lose a large wolf?! Scanning the woods with his eyes for movement, his ears twitched as he listened for sounds. The woods were full of noise from the other werewolves searching the woods. He started to get disheartened, when a mix between a hand and paw shoved him between the shoulder blades.

Whirling around with a soft growl, he looked for who had done it. Only to hear Bill chuckle from somewhere to his left. Leaping over a cluster of bushes, Sean let out a playful growl, but he wasn't there. Letting out a soft whine, Sean didn't understand. How was he able to evade him so easily? Looking around, his ears slowly flattened out. Bill blended into the dark woods. He was using the wrong senses to find him. Closing his eyes, he slid his hand across the dirt and sniffed the air. He could smell Bill's Beta scent in the air. It was distinct compared to the earthy smells of the woods. Lowering his nose to the dirt, he sniffed it and picked up the scent. Staying on all fours, he carefully sniffed the dirt and grass to follow the scent. It wasn't until he circled the same large tree three times, that he stopped and looked up. Bill was crouched on a branch above him. Bill grinned, giving him a little wave. Rising, Sean backed up to get a running start. He could get up there. Just before he started for it, Bill got up and ran along the branch to jump to a different tree. Turning quickly, Sean ran after him. Keeping an eye on him, he watched him jump easily from branch to branch with ease. When he ran out of trees, he dropped to the ground and started to run around the lake.

Sean grinned; this was his chance. Running as fast as his hind legs would take him, he tried to catch Bill before he reached the next wood line. Bill glanced back, noticing that he was gaining fast and dropped to all fours to go faster. Sean dropped down to all fours, his paws barely touching the ground as he flew over the grass. Just as the wood line came up, Sean slammed into Bill. Tumbling across the grass in a tangle of limbs, they rolled into the woods. When they stopped rolling, Sean chuckled through heavy pants. Rolling onto his stomach, he looked to see if Bill was alright. Bill's hand reached out to touch his neck, before licking the side of his muzzle. Sean bowed his head shyly, blushing under his fur. Bill rolled onto his feet, walking over to a little tent that was set up. Sitting up, Sean sniffed the air and smiled. The tent smelled like him. Glancing back where they came from though, he wondered why Bill was camping so far away from the pack. He wanted to ask but doubted that Bill could answer him without his board. Bill unzipped the tent, gesturing him inside. Sean hesitated, his tail curling between his legs. He was suddenly nervous to be alone with him.