Drowning is in my List of Top Ten Ways I Don't Want To Die

Start from the beginning

Brynne growled and whirled her mace around in the air. "Guess there's no choice but to fight!" She was just about to run towards them, when Mini cried out, "Wait!"

Brynne paused and glanced at their sister. Mini was staring at Rudy curiously, to which the naga prince backed away nervously.

"What?" asked Rudy. Then, he quickly put on a flashy grin and smirked. He ran his fingers through his hair and smugly said, "I know I'm hot, but you can stare at me all you want later. We should get out of this mess first."

Mini scowled, a slight blush creeping up her face. "What? No, that's not what I was thinking about. I mean...you are hand-"

Alright, Mini. Let's stop right there, Brynne said through the mind-link, with an amused smile on her face.

Plenty of time to flirt later, Aru added.

Stop that! Mini argued back.

"Hand- what?" Rudy said, his haughty smile growing even larger.

"Um," said Mini, flustered. "You're hand...you're handy! Handy with your music gems, yeah, that's what I meant."

Rudy deflated, but brightened up again. "Of course I am!"

"Anyways," interrupted Aiden. "What were you gonna say, Mini?"

"Oh, right." A blush remained on Mini's face as she adjusted her glasses. "I think the portal is only gonna let Rudy go first."

"What?" scowled Brynne. She pointed at the naga prince. "Why him?"

"Last time, it only let Aiden in first because it was Aiden's trial or whatever. But I think this test was meant for Rudy, so only he can go in first. At least, that's what I think," Mini explained.

Aru nodded thoughtfully. "That makes sense."

"But are you sure about that?" asked Brynne. She threw a withering glance at Rudy. "I mean, him of all people? Are you serious?"

Mini threw a worried glance at the zombies. They had advanced even closer to them now. "I dunno? I'm like 50 percent sure, but we don't have time to debate about it. Just go in first, Rudy! We'll only be able to get through once you do!"

Rudy nodded, and put his sunglasses on. He turned back into his human form, raised his arms in a dramatic gesture, and slowly walked towards the portal. "Watch me, peasants, as I, Prince Rudra of Naga-Loka, Heir of-AHHH"

He was abruptly cut off as Brynne shoved him inside the portal with her foot.

"He was taking too long," she explained, after Mini gave her the evil-eye.

Aiden sighed and jumped into the portal, which easily let him through, proving Mini's theory. The three sisters looked at each other, shrugged, and leaped inside as well just in time before the zombies reached them.

Aru stepped out of the portal and screamed. The portal had deposited them to a tiny, wooden rope-bridge that was violently rocking back and forth. She held on to the flimsy railing for dear life as it shook.

"Gahhhh!" She yelled, trying to find her balance. Aru nervously glanced down. About a hundred feet below them, was a huge river with sharp rocks jutting out of the surface. Her stomach leaped to her throat and she gulped nervously.

"Aru!" Aru looked over to her side, and saw Mini standing beside her. "Where are we?"

Aru shrugged and looked around at her surroundings. The sun was starting to set, and had turned the sky into multiple shades of crimson and orange. White, fluffy clouds that were tinged pink due to the setting sky floated in the sky. She glanced over to the end of the bridge, where a cluster of tall, sturdy trees stood.

"Drowning is in my list of top ten ways I don't want to die." Mini's voice jerked Aru back to their current situation. Her sister was staring at the rapids below nervously.

"Who makes a list of that?" asked Brynne incredulously. She seemed to be less afraid than the rest of them, as she confidently stood on the bridge with her mace over her shoulder.

"Apparently, Mini," Rudy replied. He was a little further down the bridge than them, but still in talking distance. He carefully put his sunglasses back in his pocket and when he caught Aru looking, he explained, "Don't want to accidentally drop them. These are branded."

"Of course they are," Aiden spoke up. Like Brynne, he didn't seem as nervous as the rest of them were. He held out a hand to Aru and said, "Here, grab on. I'll help you across, if you're scared."

"I'm not scared," Aru retorted, but she took his hand in hers anyways. Slowly, she let go of the railing and took a step closer to him. A sudden thought wormed into her brain. What if her palm was all sweaty? Would he notice her rough calluses? She wished she had used the hand cream that Nikita had given her before they left. 

"Sorry if I'm sweaty and callus-y?" she burst out suddenly. Aiden looked like he was stifling a laugh.

"Woah, I just got déjà vu." He smiled, flashing his ridiculously cute dimples. "Don't worry about it, Shah. Pretty sure my hands are pretty sweaty too." He squeezed her hand, and Aru blushed a hundred shades of red.

Woah, Shah. I've never seen Aiden like this. You guys going out or something? Brynne asked through the mind-link.

So what if we are?! Aru blurted without thinking, fed up with the teasing. Brynne looked taken back, but a small smile crept up her face. Mini also looked amused, but kept quiet.

"Guys! Look, it's the firefly again!" Aru turned to Rudy, who was pointing at a familiar flicker of light that was hovering above the bridge. As if noticing that they noticed it, it started to fly off towards the end of the bridge.

"Come on!" Brynne urged, running after the fly.

"Don't run!" Mini wailed, clutching onto the railing. "You're making it shake!" But she inched after Brynne as well, grabbing Rudy along the way. Aru and Aiden, hand in hand, sprinted after the firefly as well, and in no time, they had finally crossed the bridge.

As soon as Aru stepped onto the rich, dark soil, a sense of coldness came over her. It wasn't exactly a drop in temperature, but rather the feeling of someone watching them. She felt shivers go down her spine.

Beside her, Aiden shuddered. "What was that?" he asked, scanning the area. He let go of her hand and brought out his scimitars preparedly. 

Rudy frowned. "I sense something weird...but familiar," he murmured, clutching his orange messenger bag tightly.

A resounding laugh sounded behind them, followed by a hissing noise, making the Potatoes jump. Aru slowly turned around and came face-to-face with an unfriendly naga.

"Dada-ji?" Rudy asked incredulously. 

Right in front of them, was the blind naga king and minion of the Sleeper- Takshaka.