Second Sight

Second Sight

Chapter One

Drina was/is my best friend.

She died in an accident at the lake just a year ago today.

What I mean by saying that she is still my best friend, is that I see her ghost and I can talk to her just like if she were here in the flesh.

My name is Ariannah, I am 17 today. Drina died on my sweet 16th birthday. What a bitter sweet, sweet 16th birthday.

I never knew I could talk with the dead. I dont know if its just because me and Drina were always so close, but for whatever reason, I can.

My Aunt took me in when I was 2 years old, because my mom ran out on my dad and my dad didnt know how to take care of a child. Despite my wishes, Kindal "my aunt" makes me see my dad for one month every summer. For a few reasons I resent her for this but its Sam my "dad" that I despise the most. He remarried when I was 5. Then 9 months later Adeladie was born. And his life was completed without me.

His new young wife didnt want me messing up her "perfect" little family, so my aunt adopted me legally. And its with her iv been ever since. She is rich so being her only kid, im kinda spoild, but not in a bad way, in a good way.

I never let it go to my head. If I had a brand new shirt and you wanted it. Id give it to you off my back. And that is how Jace is to. Jace is Drina's older brother who became my bff after she died. He is a year older than me, well almost a year, we were born eight months apart. My aunt and his mom had always been best friends, even when they were younger. Thats is how my life had intertwined with their's. After Drina died, Jace spent alot of time sleeping on my couch most nights because his dad was never home any more and also because his mom was to inebriated to notice her absent 17 year old.

• • •

Do you remember when I said my aunt makes me stay with my dad one month out of the summer? Well this is that month.

I had some how talked Sam into letting me bring a friend with me this year. I think he thought I ment a girl friend, not a boy friend. You should have seen his face when he picked me and Jace up at the air-port.

But after he threw a tantrum to my aunt over a brief phone call the subject was never brought up again. Exchanging glances, I smiled at Jace and he gave me his wicked little grin.

We were in sunny california for four whole weeks! That thought was great until you factored in Sam, my step mom Ren, and anoying 12 year old little sister.

But on the bright side of things the house was beach front and my favorit aunt literly forced Sam into giving me and Jace the pool

House. Ha! score two points Kindal!

It was late on a Friday night, we had spent the whole day camped out on the beach, my shoulders were a little red, as well as the bridge of my nose. Jace had been making jokes about me for the past hour, until i threw a tennis shoe at his head. which only caused more hystarical laughing, from both him and me. We had come back to the pool house to grab a bottle for the group of friends we had met today. We were going to use it to play spin the bottle on the beach by this bonfire one of the guys had made, a guy named Masson.

The night was gorgious and the sky filled with millions of bright tiny little stars. The sand felt amazing beneath my toes. Jace had his fingers laced through mine, and as we aproached the gathering of our newly made friends, the fire light reflected off of jaces face, casting shadows in the hollows of his face, and the raised planes turning orange. It was different seeing him like that. It made him look beautiful.