Chapter 38 ~ Outing to the Commoner's District

Start from the beginning

The trip to the marketplace took quite a while. Our mansion is located very near to the castle compared to any other noble's district, so, it would've taken us maybe an hour to reach the commoners' district. But, since we are going incognito, we took the long way around to make it seem like we came from the commoners' district to go to the marketplace. It took double the time, but it's more inconspicuous.

After a while, we could hear the bustling sound of people talking over each other, promoting their things, the general hustle and bustle of a crowded place.

We have finally reached the marketplace.

There are a lot of people coming in and out of shops, visiting food stalls, haggling with the merchants who have set up temporary shops at roadsides, it was a completely different world compared to the nobles' district.

This reminded me a lot of the marketplace district in the morning back in Japan... It's so lively and crowded, but also very peaceful.

Well, as peaceful as it can be in a crowd. At least, there's no visible crime or chaos happening around here.

Upon entering the shop, the smell of herbs, plants, and the earthy fragrance that reminded me of the smell of the garden right after rainfall entered my nose.

The interior of the shop was made predominantly of wood with a few metal frames that are visible at each connective part of the beams that supported the ceiling. There were shelves upon shelves filled with various pots of plants and herbs, glass jars, cupboards, and an L-shaped desk at the end of the room with two more shelves of glass jars and pots of plants and herbs behind it.

It was very small compared to the establishments I've visited before, but it didn't feel cramped with the sizable empty space at the center of the room.

A slender woman seemingly in her late 30s or early 40s stood before what looks to be a cupboard with plenty of equal-sized drawers from top to bottom. One of the drawers was opened and pulled back and in her hands were several layers of dried dark green leaves. She brought it closer to her, examining it and smelling it, before nodding in satisfaction with a small smile and put it back into the drawer.

At that moment, she noticed us going into her shop. She immediately turned towards us, her ponytailed jet-black hair fluttering in the air as a warm welcoming smile greeted us.

"Oh my~ What cute little customers~ Welcome to the Invulnerable Vagrant~ How can I help you~?"

Ahh~ Her voice is so warm and gentle~ This kind of warmth and coziness is something you can't get in high-ranking establishments~ I feel so comfortable here~

"Good morning, big sister~! I'm looking for herbs and fragrant flowers to use to make soap~! Do you sell them?"

"Oh my~ Ufufufu~ You're such a cute sweetheart for calling me big sister~ Yes, we have quite a selection of them here~ Would you like to take a look~?"

"Yes please~!!"

"Okay~ Then please come~ Your big brother and big sister can come too~"

"Yes. Please excuse me."

"B-Big sis- I-I understand..."

Woowww~ There are so many things here~

I've heard of high-class establishments that sell tea leaves or shops in the noble's district that sell herbal ointments from mom. I would love to visit them sooner or later, but now that I have a chance to go to the commoner's district, I want to come here and see what the trend is in this society.

Lu-nii began to walk around and browse through the things in the shelves and cupboards while Anne and I went with the nice lady to her desk where she had already taken out several flowers, herbs, and plants and placed it on the table.