———

"You shouldn't have said yes to that annoying bitch." Kai says

"Kai!" I nudge him in the arm and he shrugs.

"It's true. She won't stop going around school telling everyone she's going to prom with you and how she's so much better for you than Atlas." He says and I turn back to him, raising an eyebrow.

"She's delusional." I say and he laugh, pulling a suit off the rack and holding it out. It's a plain black and white suit.

"I need blue accents." He rolls his eyes.

"Here, fine." He places a blue and green corsage in my hand, as well as a blue tie similar to Harley's dress color.

I nod and we walk towards the register of the store we're in. I don't know the name of it, Kai just said they had nice suits.

He told me that if I didn't let him go suit shopping with me he'd skin me alive and Kai is scary. Im serious.

Prom is on Friday, today's Wednesday, I put off suit shopping because honestly I kind of hoped there wouldn't be any and I wouldn't have to go but, nope, there's is still so many suits.

I drop Kai off back home and drive back to the house, going upstairs to my room and shutting the door, pulling out homework and beginning to work on it whenever someone knocks on the door

"Come in" I say and Atlas pulls the door open, stepping inside my room.

"Why are you going to prom with Harley?" She asks and I laugh

"Why are you going to prom with Derek?" She sits on my bed, crossing her legs.

She looks so pretty. She's so pretty. Her hair is tied back and her eyes are wide and bright, shining with anger, an anger I don't quite understand.

"You don't want to go with her?" She asks

"No." I scoff

"So why are you?"

"And I ask again, why are you going to prom with Derek?" I ask and she rolls her eyes. Silence lingering between us, neither of us talking, her gaze burning into mine.

"I'm sorry, Everette, for everything." She finally says and I nod.

"I know that you are, and I forgive you, but it isn't enough." I sit back down at the desk, turning my attention to my homework as I feel my throat tighten as tears threaten to poor out, Atlas sighs and walks out of the room, closing the door behind her.

Can't this nightmare just be over. I just want to wake up.

———

I stand on the stairs, watching as Atlas and Leah take prom pictures together, Atlas's mom taking countless pictures of them, laughing and smiling, I smile at the sight myself before Paige punches me in the arm.

"You have another date." She reminds me and I roll my eyes

"Yeah, I got that." She laughs and runs downstairs to hug her sisters.

James gets there first to pick up Leah, his suit is black and white with red accents and her dress is red Atlas's dress is dark green, flowing down her back.