8 - Carved Into My Skin

Chapter 8 - Carved Into My Skin

[Edited as of 3/17/16]

[Changing all chapters, as of this date, to third person for the sake of my much more detailed and developed writing]

We think every night before we sleep that we will be safe in the bed we lay in or the ground we rest upon, that with closed eyes and a blanket, nothing can go wrong in the many hours of paralyzed sleep that we need in order to live. Yes, she believed this, or at least she thought she did until that night, she was used in her most vulnerable state.

Bella instantly shoots up in a well of panic when she feels a solid form be placed over her mouth, forbidding her lips from moving. Her mind jumbled up all at once when her eyes scanned the area around her in distress. What was going on?

Instantly, she tried to bring her hands up to her face to rip off whatever was keeping her mouth shut, only to cause further panic when she felt her wrists bounded together, along with her ankles.

It was impossible to move, impossible to scream through what kept her mouth shut. Bella didn't know what to do, the panic she felt consuming her and the anxiety of being restricted taking effect as she squirmed in the bed she thought she was safe in, the sheets beneath her suddenly no longer comfortable and instead horrifying.

"Now Isabella, you're going to be real nice and quiet or I'm going to kill you, okay?" a voice suddenly boomed, and she finds herself looking around for the source, fear welling up in her chest when a shadowy figure appears from the deep dark corner of the room.

She tries to scoot back, because oh god, was she going to die? She didn't know what was happening, why this was happening, and to her of all the gladers. She hadn't done anything, she hadn't, but even that couldn't calm her down when the figure she still couldn't make out welded something silver.

Felling her throat clench up, she starts feeling hot and steamy tears roll down her face, falling onto her skin as the dark figure advances closer to the bed, the silver knife he held slowly being placed on her thigh.

Bella shivered at the texture, at the thought of her skin being sliced into. She desperately tried to scoot away, her tied feet kicking out at the figure, only to feel a sharp sting flow through her left leg. She cries out behind the mask, eyes wide when she sees blood stain the blanket underneath her.

"What did I say?" the figure hushed loudly, dipping his masked face down to her pale one, the hand he held pressed against her stomach now. "Stop or I'll kill you." he whisper-shouted, pulling the girls hair upwards in order to get her to look at him in the eye. "You don't deserve to live, after what you've done to us, you shouldn't even exist." he hissed lowly, the threatening sound sending Bella over the edge.

She cried desperately when he began to press the knife into her cheek, breaking through the skin and spilling more red liquid onto her clothes. She shrieks and tries to pull away, only to be sliced again on her left leg and brought face to face with the dark and masked face.

"I don't want you to die because you deserve to go through this mess with us, but if it comes to that point, I'll stab you." he told her slowly, sliding the knife down to her arm. "But just because I want you dead doesn't mean I want you to leave here without knowing I left a mark on you."

Bella's eyes widened and she kicked him in the stomach, sending him back a few inches. The fear she felt increases when she realizes that he was now angrier than ever, the knife he held being brought down on her thigh in a flash that she didn't have enough time to comprehend the pain.