Spencer led me upstairs and along the corridor to our baby's nursery.

"Okay, close your eyes," He said, and gently placed his paint-covered hands over my eyes.

Jack and Naomi giggled as I held the tablet in front of me, so they could see too.

Spencer guided me inside the room and I heard the couple gasping and cooing before Spencer dropped his hands.

Immediately, my eyes filled with tears and a hand rose to cover my mouth emotionally.

Spencer chuckled and took the tablet into his hands, beginning to show the couple different elements to the room, talking them through everything.

Immediately facing the door there was a large bay window with a rocking chair and a blanket, glorious white curtains billowing in the gentle breeze coming through the window.

On the left side of the room, there was another window, and in front of it stood our baby's crib, a hand-made mobile hanging from the ceiling, courtesy of Auntie Penny and Aunt Becky.

The floor was varnished wood, stripped back to the traditional elements, with a thick fluffy rug covering the majority.

There was wooden furniture, like a wardrobe, a changing unit, a doll's house, a toy-box, all of the elements of a traditional nursery.

However, what took my breath away, was the fact that Spencer had painted the ceiling a beautiful pale blue, and stenciled stunning white fluffy clouds here-and-there, like the sky.

In the corner was a bright yellow sun, and on the right-hand wall was a glorious mural, a beautiful park with varying animals and a stunning tree.

"Spencer, it's breathtaking," I admired as he crossed to me and wrapped an arm around my waist. "Thank you."

He smiled and shrugged.

"Maybe the annexe could be made into an art studio after all." Jack nodded and we all laughed.

"I'm surprised you guys didn't find out the sex," Naomi admitted. "Another excuse to have a party - a big gender reveal."

Spencer and I laughed and shook our heads.

"We thought about it." I admitted.

"But we didn't want to conform to gender stereotypes," Spencer explained bashfully. "It doesn't matter what the sex is, so long as our baby is healthy and happy."

I opened my mouth to agree as Jack and Naomi cooed on the other line, but was completely taken by surprise by a shooting pain.

"Mel?" Jack frowned in concern and immediately Spencer turned to me as I winched and gripped my bump.

I laughed and shook my head.

"I think they heard us."

*

My parents fetched Tilly from school as Spencer and I prepared for the hospital.

I was insistent that I was absolutely fine - and forced Spencer to change into clean clothes and wash his hands, even though he was freaking out and bumping into everything.

I laughed and shook my head, and almost punched him as he reached to carry me downstairs.

"I'm in labour - not my first party, either," I warned. "I'm not an invalid, I can do it myself."

He held his hands defensively and grabbed my go-bag as I took the stairs one at a time, breathing deeply.

We arrived at the hospital at the same time as my parents, and Tilly ran screaming excitedly.