Emiko- Prologue

I looked out at the empty court in front of me, smiling to myself as I put my hair into a ponytail. It had been so long since I had even thought about being able to do things like jump serve without a knee brace.

I grew comfortable with the ball in my hands, just as I had been before. Every bit of fear that had rested in me had been replaced by determination. Before my eyes, the court began to transform. I could hear the squeaking of shoes, the thud of bodies hitting the floor on a dive, the slam of a ball for a kill. The silence as every player held their breath before the server made contact with the ball. Everything I missed, everything I had both dreams and nightmares about, were coming back. 

"Hey, you're going to be fine," Iwaizumi said. "Take a deep breath."

I shot a smile at him. "Oh, I'm fine. It's you I'm worried about."

He laughed. "What, afraid I can't hit your sets because they suck?"

I shrugged. "Eh, you could say that. It's really because my sets are so perfect that if you miss, it's going to be really embarrassing for you."

"Go on, big talker. Try it," he teased. I laughed getting ready to set.

"Toss it to me already!" Aiko shouted. I did as instructed as she passed it up. Of course. Perfect pass. This time, I was ready.

I watched the ball fall perfectly into my hands as I backset it to Iwaizumi, my mind switching it back and forth from the present to the Nekoma practice match. So much had changed since then. I had grown so much. As Iwaizumi killed the ball on the other side of the court, I knew I was back.

"Where was your pretty setter boyfriend to see that one?" Iwaizumi asked when he landed.

"Emiko! Nice set!" a voice shouted from the doorway.

There he was.