C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-T H R E E

Start from the beginning

Stay with me, was all that repeated in Hunter's mind. His heart pounded in his tightened chest. Don't you die on me, Fern. Stay with me...

Wrecker tried helping him up into the cargo hold. Tech didn't required orders to know they needed to leave pronto . Echo, from inside the walker, insisted Hunter pass over Fern so he and Wrecker could hop on and they can swiftly resume their escape from the city. The sergeant reluctantly complied. Once onboard, he knelt down next to where Echo laid her flat on her back. Underneath him, he felt the war machine hunker its way down the street. 

"Oh dear..." GS-8 gasped softly.

Fern's face contorted in pain. Stiff panting and gasping followed her weak whimpering. Her eyes squeezed shut as she endured her wounds. After throwing off his helmet, Hunter lifted her upper body in the crook of his arm and held her head.

"Fern, can you hear me?!" he stammered, unable to control the panic in his voice. He breathed heavily through his nose. "Just hang on. We'll get you out of here."

——————————————————————

FERN'S POV

It all happened so fast... Even if I wanted to jump off the tank to avoid the cannister, I still would've been caught in the aftershock. Next thing I knew I was launched into some bushes and crashed into the soft grass, its organic fibers pricked my arms and neck. My chest flared so immensely with searing pain, I couldn't breathe... I gasped and panted, attempting to obtain some oxygen, but it was as if the air had been sucked out of my reach.

"Fern!" I heard a muffled voice over the piercing ring in my ears. "No, no, no...I got you." It must've been Hunter... My eyes felt so heavy, I couldn't open them when I wanted to. His arms slipped underneath my shoulders and legs, lifting me and holding me for dear life against his chest plate. My whole body screamed in agony and shuddered all over. It grew more and more difficult to breathe.

Someone else hooked their arms under mine and hoisted me into what I assumed was the walker. Every single movement were like a million fiery needles stabbing my chest, neck, and arms in rapid motion... I was lowered flat on my back, but even then my eyes refused to open. I couldn't make out any words, but Hunter's and Echo's voices were near me. I think Wrecker was there, too. Suddenly, my upper body was lifted and my nape of my neck sank into the crook of someone's armored arm. Then...a gloved hand cupped my temple area, holding my head close to him... Again, there was his voice... But what was he saying...

Underneath me, I felt the walker hobble, until it didn't. There was another muffled explosion and my body was scooped up once again. This time, I managed to audibly cry out in pain...

This is good, I convinced myself. As long as you feel something, whether it's agonizing pain or not, you know...they know you are alive...

The ringing in my eyes began to subside eventually, and my senses finally grasped onto that voice that had continuously coaxed me. It was indubitably Hunter, whispering, "We're almost there. Just hang on a little longer. We're almost at the ship."

Open your eyes, I ordered myself. Open your mouth! Do something! Let him know you can hear him! My body was not having it. It wouldn't even allow me to twitch my fingers. My chest raged on in agony.

Time was incomprehensible. I could not determine if ten minutes had passed or an hour. Suddenly, I was placed down on a cot, notifying me we had made it back to the Marauder

"Hunter, I'll take her from here." That was Tech's voice...

Wired-Brain...I've never been so relieved to hear your voice.

I was not sure what was happening, but one moment I felt a prick in my neck, similar to the bazillion I'd been feeling since the moment I got blown away, the next my consciousness wavered... The pain throbbing throughout my whole body became numb, and I drifted into a deep sleep.

———————————————————————

HUNTER'S POV

I could never fully explain what was swimming through my mind as I watched Tech perform first aid on Fern. I didn't dare leave her side as he injected her with an antiseptic and delicately removed the small piece of shrapnel from her shoulder. Fortunately, according to the self-taught medic, it had not punctured deep into the tissue. He was able to cease the bleeding fairly quickly. Afterwards, he sanitized the charred areas of the burn wound with a damp rag until a deep, reddish-pink abrasion remained. There were certain areas where her bones protruded that were more damaged; the shriveled skin flaked off by the slightest movement. Her entire chest was so tender, that every touch caused her to wince, twitch, whimper, or yelp, even when shot with painkillers.

It was one of the hardest moments of my life watching Tech operate on her. For once, he did not spill into a long verbal diagnosis of her condition. It was plainly obvious, so instead he instrumented every fiber of his being to save Fern. When he did speak, it was to calmly request my assistance, such as wiping away the pouring sweat off her face or handing him supplies. He had to slowly, and gently as possible, peel away the scorched fabrics of her tunic and under shirt. Forcing myself to stare at her wounds, specifically her right collar bone where the skin was very thin and the small, yet worrisome gash blazed red... I knew there would be permanent scarring...

All while Tech worked diligently, I rested my hand on her burning forehead, stroking my thumb along her sweaty hairline and mentally pleading her to pull through. You cannot die, Fern. There's no way I'm letting you leave again. Never again. I just got you back, and I intend to make you stay, no matter what...

By the time we returned to Ord Mantell, Tech had finished the bandaging process. The female clone had drifted into a comfortable sleep, lightly snoring through her nose. Without words, we exchanged a mutual relieved sigh. I gripped his shoulder in gratitude.

Fern was going to live to quip another day.