Just Breathe

February 2023

Tatiana's POV:

I sat in the crowd. They just showed the nominees for best director.

It was the Golden Globes. Not the Oscars.

"And the Golden Globe goes to," They opened the envelope. "Tatiana Medeiros. Courage in the Rose."

I looked at Florence. "Go it get." She stood up and hugged me. "First of many."

I walked on stage and they gave me the award. "Oh, man." I looked at everyone. "Excuse me if I'm a little bit awkward. I'm not used to all of this." I looked at the trophy.

Leila's POV:

"Since I'm so awkward I'll just keep it short. Thank you to the cast and crew of this film. We created a beautiful piece of art together. Thank you to the Hollywood Foreign Press. My friends and family watching from home. I love all of you. Thank you." She walked off stage.

"She did it!" Mapi cheered.

"It's not an Oscar."

"Not yet." Mapi smirked. "But it will be. Few more weeks."

They continued on with the awards. So far they got the best director. Next was the best actress.

"The Golden Globe goes to," They looked. "Florence Pugh, Courage in the Rose."

Florence went to get the award. She thanked her friends and family and everyone involved. "I have to say a huge thank you to my incredible director on this film. Tatiana Medeiros. If you ever get to work on a film with her, you'll know what I mean when I say her vision is unmatched. She saw the script in so many different ways and the end product was breathtaking. I wouldn't have won this award if it wasn't for her direction. Thank you."

Finally, it was best picture. They have already awarded musical or comedy. Now it was drama. "Courage in the Rose. Tatiana Medeiros."

The camera showed Tatiana as she laughed. She got up and received the award. "Nothing has changed since best director. Still as awkward this time around." She said and the crowd laughed. "Um, so thank you to everyone I thanked before. Hollywood Foreign Press, cast and crew, my friends, my family. Florence Pugh for boosting my ego with her speech there." Everyone laughed again. "Thank you for helping this kid from Brazil live her dream."

March 2023

Tatiana's POV:

After the Golden Globes, all focus shifted to the Oscars.

Outfits were picked up, everything was ready. Now we waited for the night to arrive.

Leila flew in the week of. She walked around and looked at the Golden Globes. "How did I miss that?" She asked.

I turned to her. "I was mainly focused on the Oscars." I smiled.

"Do I get a special thank you if you win?"

"Of course. I'd also like to thank my wonderful fiancée." I said. "And then every single headline. Tatiana Medeiros is engaged! Also wins Oscar."

Leila laughed. "I like this headline better." She said. "Kid from Brazil lives her dream." I smiled. "Spanish girl is happily a side character."

Before we knew it, it was Oscar night. My phone was flooded with good luck texts. Many of them were from my father. Leila's friends sent a lot too. Including Patri who requested a shoutout if I win.

I had to deny the request.

We were dressed and on our way. Leila looked more nervous than I was.

We headed out and looked at the photographers. "This is a lot." I said.

"Yeah, it is." We started walking down the carpet and the cameras blinded us.

Leila's POV:

"They want to interview you." Theo walked over. "Leila you can stand with me."

We stood to the side. "We're here now with Tatiana Medeiros. Tatiana, you are nominated for 3 awards tonight. You won two at the Golden Globes, how are you feeling right now?"

"A little overwhelmed, to be honest." She laughed.

"Who did you bring tonight?"

"Well, Florence and I went together to the Golden Globes but she's here with a date tonight." She said. "So I was abandoned. But I'm actually here tonight with my fiancée. It's her first award show, we're overwhelmed together."

"I didn't know you were engaged."

"Yeah, happened a few months ago actually. We're both very happy."

"Tatiana, congratulations on the Golden Globes, the nominations, and the engagement. Best of luck tonight."

"Thank you."

After more photos and interviews, we headed inside. Tatiana held my arm the whole time. "If I win, I'll have to present next year." She said. "And I don't want to do that."

"How about we just get through this year." I smiled. "Then we'll worry about next year."

"I have anxiety, Leila. I can't help it."

I nodded. "I know, my love. I know." The show started.

"Here are the nominees for best original screenplay." They showed all the nominees. "Courage in the Rose. Carrie Pope and Tatiana Medeiros." I felt her squeeze my hand. "And the Oscar goes to," They read the name. "Courage in the Rose. Carrie Pope and Tatiana Medeiros." She stood up and looked at Carrie.

"You're speaking." She said.

"Deal." Carrie laughed. She looked down at me. I nodded and they walked one stage. "Well Tati, here's one for you." Tatiana shook her head. "Thank you to the Academy for this wonderful honor. I wrote this screenplay about 2 years ago and didn't have the courage, no pun intended, to direct it. Luckily for me, this lady to my right did. The story went through many changes before we settled on what we shared with the world. I'm happy to share this honor with Tatiana and with all of the other nominees. Thank you very much."

They walked backstage and I waited awkwardly by myself. "Leila." I looked at Florence. "Aw, you're doing the awkward "where the hell did my date go?" sit now." She laughed. "I wish I could take a picture."

"I hate you." I said. Tatiana came back and sat down with me. "One down. Two to go." I said.

"I'm stressed." She said. "Look." She lifted her hand.

I grabbed her shaking hand and kissed it. "I'm here. Just breathe."