prologue

BOBBY FINSTOCK looked at his goddaughter as she ran around his house, one of his close friends, the mother of the kid, was standing next to him, watching the young girl run

BOBBY FINSTOCK looked at his goddaughter as she ran around his house, one of his close friends, the mother of the kid, was standing next to him, watching the young girl run. She was so carefree, so filled with infinite joy. She was the sunlight in everyone's life, a ray that would never fade. At least, that's how he saw her. He didn't have kids, nor a wife. But, his goddaughter was enough. He loved her more than anything, and his close friend was very aware of that. The girl loved him the same, always thinking of him as her father, rather than the man her mother was married to.

"She's so pure." The mother commented, her friend looked at her furrowing and exhaled.

"She's a demon." The tall woman shook her head and watched her daughter trip but stand up nonetheless. He was joking, of course, the grin on his lips meaning the opposite of his words.

"She'll do great things one day, I'm sure of it." Bobby looked at her, she was the woman he loved his entire life, and even tho they had their affairs, she never loved him back. He feared that their unrequited love was going to be his doom, but still cared deeply for that woman and her children. So he stayed, even tho she had a husband and she never felt the same for him. He stayed through everything and helped as much as he could.

But it wasn't enough for her.

"Dia, mom is leaving but I'll be back soon, ok?" She called over to her child. Dahlia ran to her mother and hugged her tightly.

"Bye, mom. Uncle Bobby and I will wait for you in the kitchen," she motioned her mother to lean closer so she could whisper in her ear, and with a smile she did, "We will make pancakes but, shh. It's a secret." The young girl giggled as her mother stood up again.

"Ok, I won't tell anyone. Goodbye, Dia. Mom loves you."

Mom loves you, mom loves you, mom loves you.

It's what the teenage Dahlia would repeat herself late at night, when a mental breakdown crashed into her and she remembered the last words spoken by her mother to her. After her death, Bobby became her legal guardian and she changed her last name. Nobody knew that she wasn't actually related to him, people even claimed that they looked alike. They both were fine keeping her identity as a secret, it was safer this way and less difficult to explain. For all people knew, she always had been Dahlia Ivy Finstock. And in a way, she always had been.

The father and daughter duo helped each other cope, one using alcohol for it and the other using shopping with her best friend Lydia Martin. One thing they definitely had in common: their attitude.

Watch it, Greenberg. If you thought a Finstock was bad, imagine having two.