Ch. 48 - Homecoming

Start from the beginning

"You're okay, princess. I'm just looking out for us." Kylo told you, kissing your cheek before moving back into his seat comfortably.

You nodded and tried your best to relax against the seats as well. It wasn't so easy for you. Whenever the car passed someone who could even slightly resemble Snoke or one of the mafia members you could recognize, you felt a jolt of fear run through your body.

You tried to distract yourself. "Where are we going?" You asked him in a hushed voice as if the driver couldn't hear your destination even though he was the one driving you there in the first place.

"Your art studio. Vic's going to bring us dinner. I made sure we had enough in our luggage. We'll be okay for the night." He answered, then looked over at you with raised eyebrows.

There was a beat of silence before, "Don't you think?" He asked you for reassurance.

You couldn't help but frown as you saw the expression on his face. It was rare that you were the one who needed to tell him what would be a good plan. It made you slightly on edge. If he wasn't confident in the plan, how could you be?

"That sounds great." You told him before leaning over and kissing him briefly. "We'll be okay." You agreed.

You watched the way that Kylo physically lowered his shoulders, letting out a deep breath. Your encouragement was more helpful to him than you even realized.

He knew that Snoke would find out that he and the knights were back in town eventually and if Kylo had you at his apartment, he was scared that someone would come by and end up seeing you.

Your art studio was in your name. It was one of your many Christmas presents from him. As far as Snoke knew, you didn't own anything yourself. Hux paid for the apartment that you'd been living in.

It was the safest place to be. Even a hotel would be riskier because it created too many opportunities for someone to see you.

Kylo's phone rang quietly in his pocket.

Both of you made panicked eye contact.

He kept his eyes on you as he reached into his pocket and pulled it out.

"Who is it?" You asked him, trying to hide the worry in your tone, but it was impossible not to detect. Your mind went to the worst.

Kylo swallowed hard before glancing down at his screen. He audibly sighed and gave you a slightly irritated look. "Vic."

You hummed in relief, putting a hand over your heart as if to calm yourself down. It was just Vicrul.

"Yes?" Kylo answered the phone with a grunt.

You couldn't hear what Vicrul was saying, so you could only make out what the conversation was about based on how Kylo responded.

"Yeah, that's a good idea... Yep, that one... No, no... Fuck, don't do that...The one I told you about, Jesus Christ. Yes. Good, thank you." Kylo responded in an irritated voice, shaking his head as he spoke. "Not pizza, no. Not after being in fucking Italy...Sure, fine." He hung up.

"What was that about?" You asked, laughing a little at how grumpy Kylo had been. It was a small moment of comedy in the constant state of tragedy that you were living in.

"He was being a dick," Kylo said, glancing over at you. Seeing how amused you were made him laugh a little himself. He was thankful for the break of tension.

"He's going to bring us Chinese food when we get hungry." Kylo's hand went to your leg again and he leaned over to kiss you. He made a noise of comfort against your lips. He was calm again if he didn't think about what was going on and just focused on kissing you.