When you weren't at each other's sides, that made for one party compromised. Such was the price for a connection that bred pure power.

Your footsteps halted the moment Atomic's presence left your mind. You could still sense your surroundings, even without his lingual guidance. And what you felt shaking the still, steadied air of the warehouse sent a shiver up your spine.

"What is it?" Dabi asked, looking back over his shoulder as you remained in the entryway, eyes wide yet lost in sensory input. A shaky breath barely skid past your lips, the sound of running boots, bodies dressed in protective gear, and the energy carried in the sound of commanding voices triggering a silent panic.

You answered with the only word that arose fear buried so deep you might as well have called it a fired, "Guns."

Toga cocked her head to the side, confused as her and Twice slung their carrier bags over their shoulders. Right as those thundering footsteps became audible, their gazes snapped towards the back exit.

Your counterparts soon realized they weren't going to be alone much longer.

"Well, well," Dabi chuckled, cocky grin on his lips as he placed his hands in his pockets, strolling closer to the coming danger. "Looks like the cavalry came early today."

"Toga," You beckoned your friend, now staring at the entryway where no doubt more than a dozen police officers would surely charge, weapons out and ready to fire. "Take these and run." You removed the pill bottles from your pockets, handed them to your friend. "There's an emergency exit on the northside, you should be able to break the window there and sneak out. Twice go with her."

Toga nodded at the order, squeezing your shoulder before running back from where you came. Twice saluted you once before going after her.

"You got it boss, we won't let you down! I might trip and fall down, those stairs are narrow!"

That left you and Dabi. Your stance was ready for battle, glare pinned at the doorway. Dabi's on the other hand was unbothered, his underestimation of the cops about to storm your asses rooted in how far he was willing to go to make it out not wearing handcuffs.

"Aw, how cute. You put your team before yourself? Very heroic." Whether he was trying to entice you because aggression usually led to better outcomes in a conflict for him or just to be an asshole, you ignored him. Leaning towards you with a false smile, the man fake pouted. "Don't you wanna make sure I make it out okay?"

"You're not as fast as they are." That observation came out a little too quick and serious for his liking.

As soon as he furrowed his brows in offense however, he realized you hadn't moved a muscle. You were still stiff as ever but ready, bright yet color-faded eyes reminiscent of someone made to win a fight.

You weren't mocking him. You were just strategizing- "I'd rather you burn the bullets than take them to the back."

Of course, your humor never died, did it?

Dabi let a laughing breath through his nose at the irony of that scar stretched across your spine.

"You're funny," He admitted.

"Aren't I?"

The running right outside got even louder then, the weaponized gear disturbing the balance of your surroundings, a tell-tale sign of police. Pepper spray, tasers, and guns don't exactly contain harmless chemicals.

Lucky for you and Dabi, you'd obtained some new weapons yourself. Reaching to the hem at your waist, your hands artfully removed two knives, compact and short-bladed, but sharp enough to cut through glass.