"Hello," She responded stoically.

Will you read me?

"Not yet."

The book was silent for several long moments.

"Open," Aelin demanded.

Say please.

Her brow furrowed, she used a voice I had never heard from her before, the voice of a Queen, "Open."

We have waited a long time for power such as yours. World-Welder.

With that, the box clicked open, sending a wave of relief through the room. Aelin carefully lifted the lid and pulled out a stack of dark metal plates bound with rings of gold, silver and bronze. She painstakingly examined each page before lifting her gaze to Amren.

"Wrydmarks. I can't recognize all of them, but there are enough that I know the entire book is written in them."

Amren nodded, eyes growing distant. "I'll have every book pulled on the language to familiarize myself with it. It's been an age since I've had to use them."

Aelin nodded, "We need the other half before we can begin decoding it, but those references will be helpful. There are many things we could discover with a fully translated Book."

Their eyes remained locked for several heartbeats too long. Not for the first time, I wished I was had access into Aelin's mind to discover what exactly my princess was plotting. The entire room watched the exchange with rapt fascination, but no one spoke. I doubted anyone outside the two of them had any real insight into what they were communicating.

Rhys broke the growing tension by turning to Mor, "Speaking of the other half, have there been any updates from the Mortal Queens?"

She grimaced in response, "We are still waiting on their response to our request."

Cassian snorted at that, "Hopefully it will go as smoothly as the quest for the first half. Although I must say Little Warrior, I would have wagered that Tarquin would have concocted some sort of plan in an attempt to sway you to join the Summer Court."

A dry chuckle escaped Rhys, "It wasn't for lack of trying on his part, I can assure you. Were it not for certain...events, I've no doubt that our Aelin would have been well on her way to receiving an offer to add High Lady to her illustrious list of titles."

Events. What a vague way to refer to their formal mating. I was immediately filled with a rush of conflicting sensations. My heart soared for my brother, who looked more settled and happy than I had ever seen him. Meanwhile my gut tightened with anxiety and jealously that he was able to claim what I so desperately craved. Although I did very much enjoy the thought of Aelin being ours.

Aelin shot Rhys a sharp look but then snickered, "I got such lovely jewels out of it too, the poor male."

I laughed along with the rest of my court, but made a mental note to speak to Rhysand soon. He had no idea just how close Tarquin had been to making Aelin an offer of marriage. Even his advisors had been aware which did not sit well with me. At the end of the day, whether she accepted us or not.

Aelin was ours.

Aelin

Being back at the Night Court was a relief. The Summer Court had been lovely, but something integral settled within me once we were back within Rhysand's borders. I laughed along with the rest of the court at the ridiculousness of Tarquin, inwardly preening at having all of my mates around me. Not that half of them were aware that they were my mates, but, baby steps.