Chapter 4

Maxon's POV:

I had spent the last half an hour pacing outside the Women's Room, trying to think what I would say to my mother. I decided now was my chance when I saw a maid walking out carrying an empty tray.

"Would you ask my mother if it's alright for me to enter?" I asked the maid.

"Of course, Your Royal Highness." she replied sweetly.

I heard my mother call me so I walked in. Kriss beamed at me from her clipboard and I smiled at her and gave her a wave.

How am I going to break this news to her? My mother's hard enough, but Kriss?!

"Sorry, darling, we will take a walk later. But I need to talk to my mother about something." I said, trying to sound disappointed.

Kriss' face fell.

"Oh, that's alright.", she said, busying herself with her clipboard.

"Um, Kriss, dear, I need to speak with my mother... alone." I said quietly when I realised she didn't think to leave.

I saw my mother raise an eyebrow before smiling kindly at Kriss.

"Oh, um, sorry... I'll see you at dinner" Kriss called, barely looking up as she walked to the door.

"What was that all about?" Mom asked, once Kriss was far enough away.

"Doesn't matter. Mom, I need to talk to you about something serious. I need your help." I said, looking her in the eye.

I saw a worried look cross over Mom's face before she regained her calm demeanor.

"Yes. Anything." she breathed, patting the seat beside her.

I sat down and took a few moments to compose myself.

"I want to break off my engagement to Kriss." I blurted.

Mom took a couple deep breaths before speaking.

"Maxon, dear, are you sure?"

I nodded. She looked at me expectantly, encouraging me to go on.

"It's America, Mom. I'm supposed to be with her. I know that now."

I saw Mom smile.

"If that's what you want, I will support your decision." she said quietly, gently placing a delicate hand on my shoulder.

"Okay, I think in order to do this, I have to go see America." I declared, staring at the wall.

I kissed Mom on the cheek, said goodbye and walked back to my office.

"I will make this work" I thought to myself as I strode up the stairs, a new bounce in my step.

Authors Note:

Hey everyone! Here's the update. 

I'm trying to keep the Maxon, then America, then Maxon POV still going - I hope to keep it that way unless something happens where I NEED to do it differently! 

I hope you enjoy this chapter, I promise it's going to start getting good really soon and I have a reminder set on my phone to remind myself to keep updating now so new chapters will be a lot more frequent! 

Have a great day and stay fabulous <3 

- J