Chapter 9

[Landon's POV]

After she kissed me and ran away, I had been slightly dazed for a few minutes. I knew I felt things for her I hadn't felt since Hailey, despite knowing her for such a short period of time. She was so kind and thoughtful, and I felt my attraction growing for her since the first time I saw her after she fell. I had been so happy to find out she was in a few of my classes, and was very surprised when I saw her last night jogging by my house. Our talk by the river today led me to believe she wasn't like the other girls, and she wasn't. For one thing, that kiss was nothing I had felt before, the electric chemistry between us was something else. And her apology after was clearly because of what I had told her about my past, but what she hadn't realized was I was holding myself back from kissing her. She would never be like other girls I've met. The way she handled the situation with her best friend was a true attribute to her character, something I admired. I hope she realizes it and wants to figure it out, if there can be an us.

The next morning, I dragged myself out of bed. After a long night of tossing and turning, thinking about the kiss and her reaction, I wasn't in the greatest of moods. When my thoughts turned once again to Brooke's beautiful green eyes, a smile came across my face and my heart skipped a beat. I could only hope this one would work out, and my dad's job wouldn't re-locate us while I was in my senior year. After taking a fast shower, I changed, ate breakfast and was out the door. Getting in my sports car, I hummed along to the music, my mood improving. Finding a parking spot was easy since I was a bit early, and I sat in my car for a second before leaving. Going over our text messages last night, I grimaced as I read the early ones, of me begging her to come back. Remembering how I felt last night, so hopeless, dampened my spirits a bit. Then, coming across one I received from her, my heart sank again.

'Sorry, I didn't have my phone on me. I'm so ashamed, I must have been lost in a moment. That kiss was nothing, can we talk tomorrow?'

I must have skimmed over that part. The kiss was nothing? I barely had time to register it because a few spots down I saw Brooke parking her blue hatchback with her best friend in tow. I watched them get out, laugh about something, and start walking to the front doors, my heart stuttering slightly when I saw her. Her long blonde hair was straight and shiny, and I longed to run my fingers through it. With a shake of my head, I got out, locked my car and trudged into school. I was a mistake?

I had barely stepped into the school when Nina was all over me. I put on my best smile and tried to keep the conversation going, but that text was going through my head. I excused myself from a pouting Nina who, as beautiful as she was, wasn't my type at all, and walked to my locker. I had barely managed to finish grabbing my things for my next two classes when Brooke came over, biting her lower lip and looking nervous about something.

"Hey Landon," she started off quietly. "So listen, before you say anything, last night was, well, I don't know. Maybe everything that happened with Danny, I was confused. Anyways, I'm sorry and I promise it won't happen again. I don't want to compromise any of your future relationships, so don't worry I won't spread any gossip. Friends?" she said in a rush, holding out her hand for a shake. My heart sank, realizing she had no clue of my feelings. I needed to give it time.

Giving her the best fake smile I could, I replied, "Of course Brooke, but no apologizes necessary, like I said. It was a momentary lapse, we're both not worse for wear, and it was seriously no big deal. Don't worry about the girls anyway, the one I have my sights set on doesn't know how I feel yet," giving her a wink.

Her expression dropped for a second before she regained it again. "I see. Well, let's go to Math, I don't want a detention."

With that we walked in silence to class, my mind reeling on her changing expressions. Is it possible she has feelings for me too?