Chapter 12 - Pull Me Closer

Then, lips gently pressed against his own.

It was slight, just a ghosting of sensation, but it was enough to make Eijirou's eyelids fly wide open in surprise. And when he finally registered what he was seeing, what he was feeling, his entire brain just... went blank.

And then came the shock.

Because holy shit. Holy shit, he was being kissed. Holy shit, he was being kissed by Bakugou. Bakugou was kissing him, and it didn't make sense, why was Bakugou kissing him?

But he couldn't dwell on it, or live in the moment like he would have wanted to, because then it was over. Bakugou pulled away, slowly, and when he opened his eyes, they pierced straight through Eijirou's, taking away what little breath he had left, leaving him speechless, his jaw opening and closing with no sound to accompany the movement.

With each silent second that passed, Bakugou's expression morphed from a dark, unwavering gaze, to an uncertain chew of his lips. Then his eyes widened, darting, searching for some sort of reaction that Eijirou was frankly just too dazed to give.

And then, Bakugou looked scared. Very, very scared.

He ducked his head and turned to sit stiffly against the headboard, seemingly determined to look at anything other than Eijirou. And even still, Eijirou could only stare.

The silence was tense, painfully awkward, before...

"What was that for?"

At that, Bakugou glanced down at his fiddling hands. Shrug.

"Bakugou..." Eijirou breathed, finally taking control of his thoughts again. A notion dawned on him, so astronomical that it made him feel dizzy. But at the same time, he also felt like maybe he was starting to understand. The beginning of a smile formed on his lips, and he couldn't help but shake his head in disbelief, because honestly, "What was that for?"

Bakugou still just sat there frozen, body rigid. Eijirou could actually see his chest rising and falling much too quickly with each shallow breath, could make out the tremble in his fidgeting fingers that meant he was on the verge of panic. Bakugou's eyes glanced briefly from the door to the window behind him, as if gauging which was the closest escape route.

No way was he thinking about running away after something like that! They had to talk about this, dammit!

"Hey..." Eijirou moved his hand, slowly, carefully, to rest it on top of Bakugou's, anchoring him, praying that Bakugou wouldn't push him away. The effect of the touch was nearly immediate – as if in a trance, red eyes followed where Eijirou's thumb rubbed gently against his knuckles. Bakugou's tensed shoulder dropped, his nervous fingers steadied.

There they sat, for several moments, hand over hand, allowing this strange lethargic wave to wash over them.

Finally, a gruff voice permeated the stillness, so quiet that if Eijirou's heart had been pounding any louder, he might have missed it.

"... I wanted to."

A breath caught in Eijirou's throat. He hadn't really been expecting an answer at all, and he definitely hadn't been expecting an answer like that. It took him a solid 20 seconds to find his voice.

"Why?"

"I just wanted to, alright? Fuck, is that..." Bakugou trailed off, swallowed a lump in his throat. Brought his eyes up tentatively. "Is that really so hard to believe?"

In that moment, as their eyes met, everything finally sank in. Everything that had happened these past few weeks – the closeness they developed, the intimacy they had shared... Bakugou respecting him, learning how to trust him, caring for him... Even now, the look on his face, so honest and open and vulnerable, the one that meant that he was baring himself, to only Eijirou, just as he had time and time again... All of the pieces were finally starting to fall into place.