19. I Can't Lose You Too

En başından başla

By the time Emma stood in front of his office, she was out of breath and sceptical. It made no sense. If Severus had wanted to talk to her, he would've come and found her himself. Charity was wrong.

Then again, what did she have to lose? She was already here now, and judging by how fast she ran down to find him, she was even more eager to talk to him than she'd realised.

Before she could change her mind again, she raised her hand and knocked three times. When no response came, she knocked again. "Severus? Are you there?"

Two seconds later, the door swung open, revealing a frowning Severus. "What are you doing here?"

Emma swallowed the nerves away. "Er... Charity said that... That you were looking for me?"

His brows furrowed. "I haven't spoken with Charity today."

Her stomach turned. "Yeah, I... I was afraid she might've made that up," she muttered. "Listen, before you slam that door in my face, which you have every right to, by the way, can I just..." She took a deep breath. "I want to apologise."

She wondered what he was thinking, but she was afraid to look up. Afraid to see that judgemental, angry look on his face. Afraid he'd hate her, and that he wasn't ready to forgive her.

"You're... You're apologising to me?"

Emma couldn't discern the emotion in his voice, although the lack of anger encouraged her to continue. "I know you wouldn't hurt my aunt. I shouldn't have said otherwise, that was... quite horrible of me."

She fiddled with the tip of her braid, but still couldn't summon the courage to look up at him. When he moved, she flinched, but all he did was step aside to let her in. She let out a quiet sigh of relief as she stepped into his office.

"You're not just saying this because of tomorrow, are you?" he said as he closed the door behind her.

"Tomorrow?" She turned to face him, knotting her eyebrows in confusion. "What's tomorrow?"

The corners of his lips tugged upwards. "I'll take that as a no." He gestured for her to sit down, before adding, "Did you really think I would hurt your aunt? Don't you trust me?"

"I do trust you, it's just... When I heard that it was that spell, I got scared. I knew it was your spell, I was there when you created it, and it just... It just..."

Emma had no idea how to finish that sentence. Luckily, Severus interrupted her.

"Yes... I wonder if your ex knew about that."

Emma chuckled. "I don't think he did. I never talked to him about you."

"You didn't?"

"No, it... It hurt too much. You know?"

Severus nodded slowly. "Yes, I can see that." He turned and cleared some of the scrolls from his desk. "Well, since you're apologising, would you do me a favour?"

"Yeah, of course!" Emma sat up straight. "What do you need?"

"I need you to not make any plans for this Saturday. You know, because of tomorrow."

"I don't understand... What's tomorrow?"

A grin spread across his face. "You really don't realise what today's date is, do you?"

"It's the second," said Emma, shaking her head in confusion.

"Of?"

"December... Oh! Shit, it's my birthday tomorrow!"

 Oh! Shit, it's my birthday tomorrow!"