Chapter Fifteen: The Last of the Autumn Air

Começar do início

Anastasia was right about Madam Puddifoot and her autumn decor. Autumn leaves fell from the ceiling, but disappeared before they landed on anyone or in anyone's tea. Instead of the usual bright pink walls, she had turned it into a shade of burgandy, pumpkin scented candles filled the room along with the vanilla ones that sat on each table. The fireplace was turned on as a result of the cold chill outside. The tablecloths were also changed from the brightest pink known to man to the burgandy on the walls with gold accents on them and the cushioned chairs matched.

"Hello there, I'm Marie and I'll be your server today," the woman said. "What can I get you?"

"Marie?" Anastasia chuckled.

"Anastasia?" Marie smiled. "My god! It's been so long!"

"What's happening here?" Tom inquired.

"Oh, I'm Marie! I used to work with Anastasia at the Lonely Broomstick," Marie answered.

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be at the Lonely Broomstick with Rosmerta?" Anastasia asked.

"No, most of the other girls have quit," Marie scowled. "Shortly after you left, business became scarce because of the rumors."

"What rumors?" Anastasia inquired.

"The rumor that Gellert Grindelwald is in Hogsmeade," Marie sighed irritably. "On Merlin's grave, people will believe anything. Oh well, the pay got really bad and so we quit. Drinks?"

"I'll try the Pumpkin Pie Spice Latte," Anastasia said.

"Same for me please," Tom added. Anastasia looked at him in surprise.

"Alright then, two Pumpkin Pie Spice Lattes," Marie said before adding under her breath. "May Merlin be with you."

"What?" Anastasia asked as she was walking away. "She didn't say what I think she said... did she?"

"Only one way to find out," Tom grimaced. "So, how's your Auror training going?"

"We're starting our Resilience training," Anastasia sighed.

"Which consists of..."

"A ton of Cruciatus and Imperius Curses," Anastasia grumbled. "Yay..."

"I wouldn't want to be you right now," Tom chuckled.

"I'm not too worried about Jasper and Angelo," Anastasia sighed. "They have a high pain tolerance and both of them are pretty strong, mentally-speaking. Sadie should be able to hold her own against the Imperius Curse, but I'm afraid that she'll crack under the Cruciatus. Mason doesn't stand a chance in either though... he's going to fail."

"What about you?" Tom inquired. 

"Well, I'm not so much worried about the pain, just the amount of energy it'll take up," she scowled. "At that point, I'd be snoozing through Potions."

"At least you're relatively good at Potions," he smiled.

Marie came back with the two Pumpkin Pie Spice Lattes. Anastasia picked it up and drank it, the nostalgic feeling of fall making her sigh and smile. Tom had the exact opposite reaction. He sat there, still as a statue, with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Are you alright, Tom?" she giggled.

"It's soap," he said, looking up at her. "It tastes like soap."

"What?" she scoffed. "It's pumpkiny! Fall, autumn! Where'd you get soap from?"

"It tastes like a bar of that autumn soap that Mrs. Cole used to cover up her gin breath," Tom grimaced.