HOW WE SHOULD RESPOND TO LEADERS

In response to my posts about leadership, a friend asked, "What if your boss is not performing his duties as a leader? How should you react?"

I answered, "The performance of your boss is not your concern because he is only accountable to the person over him and not to you. Your only concern should be to do your job well in spite of how your boss behaves. Lugi ka kasi if you do not. Supposing your boss finds out that you did not do a good job, can you use his flaws as an excuse? Hindi, di ba? Baka ikaw pa ang mapagalitan niyan. But if you excel in spite of his shortcomings, you will not only receive praises from him, but you will also mature in character!"

And then another person asked, "Isn't it our obligation to call out our bosses and correct them when they make a wrong decision?" Ang sabi ko, "No! It's not your duty to do so unless your boss asks you to sin or do something against God." Your obligation is to just do a good job and support his plans maski feeling mo nagkamali siya. Kasi siya ang boss, di ba? Kung gusto mo masunod ang gusto mo, hintayin mo muna maging boss ka. Meantime, you should support your boss for your own sake. What does this mean?

Because a lot of people believe it is their responsibility to point out the mistakes of their bosses, they would go on strike or organize rallies in order to drive their point home. While I never did join a strike, I used to go to our president then to point out her faults, even though I was just a sales engineer. When she retired sabi niya sa akin, "Alam mo, Dong, you should have been promoted a long time ago, kaso lang you were so arrogant and very rebellious." Because of what she said, I realized nalulugi pala tayo if we focus our attention on the faults of our boss instead of just minding our own business.

But you might ask, "If I do not tell my boss what is wrong with him, who will do it?" If your boss asks your opinion about how he is doing, then go ahead and tell him. But if he does not, then shut up! Kasi lugi ka lang. For one, sasama lang ang tingin nya sa iyo at posible pang tratuhin ka niya nang di mabuti. Dahil dito, baka hindi ka pa makapagtrabaho nang mabuti. Remember that he is accountable to his own boss so let him answer to his boss and not to you. But ultimately, all of us are accountable to the Lord and it is He who will reward us according to how well we carried out our own responsibilities.