Ch 28: Island Room

I stood there as she crutched around the room.

"It has to be here!" She yelled.

I jumped back looking at Rafe. He began throwing stuff around the room until she walked towards the hole in the wall from earlier. She picked at the wallpaper.

"Here!" She said.

Rafe tore at the wallpaper along with the man revealing a map of some sort.

"It's the island" I said looking around the room.

I turned around as Rose looked around wide eyed walking out of the room.

"There" the woman said pointing to a tree on the wall. "If you help us, we will pay you."

I looked at Rafe walking towards him. I grabbed his arm.

"We don't know them" I said.

"It'll be fine" he said.

The woman walked out with the man. Rafe began to follow him.

"Rafe Cameron!" I said.

"What Lizzy?" He asked turning around.

"I'm pregnant" I said.

"What?" He said.

"Four months to be exact" I said.

"When did you find out? You're just now telling me?" He asked.

"I found out today but I don't know if I-" I said.

"If you what?" He asked almost insulted.

"There's a lot going on right now" I said.

"I don't care what's going on, that baby is ours. I want it and I don't care what's happening around us" he said. "I wouldn't want to have this life with anyone else."

He grabbed my face rubbing circles on my cheek.

"Lets just see if its there and we'll get paid" he said.

I sighed as he grabbed my hand leading us outside. He opened the door of the truck waiting until I got in to close it. He put his hand on my stomach.

"Did you notice I was gaining weight too?" I asked. "I feel like everyone has, they just haven't said anything."

"No because you're beautiful either way" he said.

He started the truck driving to the tree. He pulled up turning the truck off.

"Stay in here" he said.

I nodded watching him grab a shovel from the bed of the truck. Every once in a while Rafe would look to me smiling slightly making sure I was fine. I rolled down the window to get some fresh air.

"Is that a casket?" I asked myself watching them lift a casket from the ground.

Rafe kneeled down looking at it.

"Of course it's just a dead body, Jesus" he said.

He got back into the truck as we followed the woman's car from the tree. Walking into the house I noticed Rose was gone again. As we walked back to the room with the map Wheezie appeared.

"Where is Rose?" Rafe asked.

"She left" she responded.

"What do you mean she left?" I asked.

"Packed a bag and left for the mainland. Said she was having a meeting with lawyers" she said.

Rafe turned around walking towards Wheezie.

"Wait. Out, out of town? Lawyers? What are you talking about?" He asked.

"She said she'd call tomorrow. Why do you care? We hate her. Remember?" She said.

"Wheezie!" I snapped.

"She left you willingly with me. Yeah?" He asked.

"Technically but more so with Liz" she said.

I smiled looking at the young girl. I grabbed her shoulders walking outside to the backyard.

"What are they looking for?" She asked.

"Wheez I have no idea" I said.

She left my side walking towards the dock. I sat on the chair looking at my stomach as Rafe and the man walked out.

"You really believe that shit about the magic bathrobe?" Rafe asked.

The man came over sitting two chairs away from me. Rafe turned around as I smiled slightly. The two conversed about the cross and the significance  of it as Toppers Jeep pulled up. I stood up walking towards Rafe.

"Shit" he muttered.

"Don't" I said.

Topper got out walking towards us.

"Hey Rafe. Got no beef man. I'm uh I'm just here to meet Sarah" Topper yelled.

"She's not here Top" I said.

"Yeah she's not here. Go chase her somewhere else" Rafe said.

I smacked his arm looking back to Topper. Rafe began to walk away.

"What do you mean Sarah's not here? I talked with her earlier. Supposed to meet her here, supposed to pick her up" he said.

"How would I know where me sister is, huh?" Rafe asked. "And the one thing you should know Top, is, is I got nothing against you. Even though you totally punked me the other night."

"Really? Um. Were you too coked out to remember the fact that you were drowning your sister?" He asked.

"Topper" I said. "Please just go."

"Why are you still with him Liz? I-I just don't get it" he said.

He looked at my finger then nodded.

"I see. I see. Engaged? How exciting" he said.

"Married actually, Top" Rafe said. "And expecting."

Topper looked me in the eye grabbing my arm.

"You're going to regret it Liz" he said.

Rafe stood up pushing Topper.

"Leave" Rafe said.

"She's probably with John B" I said.

"Is she really?" He asked.

"Where the hell else would she be? Huh? Unless she found some other sucker" Rafe said.

Topper took his found out.

"I can just track her. I completely forgot. I can just track her phone" he said.

"You have a tracker on her phone?" I asked taking it from his hands.

"Are you spying on her?" Rafe asked taking it from my grasp. "What the hell is she doing on Goat Island?"

I looked at him confused looking at the phone.

"Shit" he said. "Of course."

I looked at Topper as Rafe walked away.

"Go home Top. Please" I said.

"Hey Renfield, I got something. Lets go" Rafe said.

I didn't bother stopping although I should have. I walked up the stairs taking a blazing hot bubble bath. I cradled my stomach smiling.

"Hello little baby I never knew was there" I whispered. "Mama is going to take good care of you."

I laid my head back listening to the sound of the tv.