Chapter 21; Hello my Old Heart

Start from the beginning

Dream mimicked his own words from back then and laughed. Sapnap felt a shiver run down his spine at that and he glared at Dream.

"And they just made it all that much easier."

"Dream... That's so... That's so fucked up. What is wrong with you?" Sapnap's expression grew angrier and Dream just laughed more at that.

"What's wrong with me?!" Dream extended both arms shouting in amused disbelief. "I wanted peace, Sapnap. That's all I ever wanted. Then Wilbur and Tommy, and Tubbo, and all their stupid little friends had to go and ruin that."

"I mean... I agreed... when things were different. Now though, it's just-" Sapnap could feel himself getting off track. He still needed for Dream to continue his confessions. He knew this had to be hurting Tommy, but he also knew the boy needed to hear it.

"Don't get me wrong though. I do feel bad for some of the things I did to Tommy... Now anyway. It was all necessary of course. But he's not like the others, Sapnap, he's not as much of a pawn as he is-" Dream paused to think for a moment and to what he said next it made Sapnap want to punch him in the face. "-a toy. My favourite toy."

"Wh-" Sapnap's attention shifted for just a moment when he heard a noise come from his right. It had to have been Tommy. The poor kid. He couldn't let Dream figure out he was there yet though. He needed Dream's confession to one last thing.

"Why did you make Tommy kill Tubbo, Dream?"

Dream seemed to have also heard the noise but was distracted by the question that Sapnap asked him and his attention went back to his friend.

"I didn't make him kill Tubbo, Sapnap. I simply told him to. And the answer isn't going to satisfy you, but if you really want to know, it was just out of curiosity- I wanted to know if he'd actually do it."

There was a sound of dismay.

A stutter and a cough.

The sound of Tommy catching himself on the tip of his sword as he nearly fell over.

"No... No, no, no..."

"Tommy?" Dream's face paled as he heard the boy and then slowly the potion seemed to be wearing off because Tommy was coming into view for both of them.

"Dream, you..." Tommy looked at the man with such betrayal and hurt in his eyes.

"Tommy..." Dream's brows raised and he moved to approach the boy, but before even Sapnap could move to protectively block Dream from Tommy, the boy was pointing his sword at Dream.

"Don't... Don't you fucking dare - Dream... Dream. You. Dream?" Tommy's voice was alternating between confusion and hurt, and pure unadulterated rage.

Tommy's words then dropped to a frantic whisper. "Tubbo, Tubbo... Tubbo..."

"Tommy," Dream began gently. He moved to approach Tommy again but the boy lifted his sword up again, standing alert and attentive. "Tommy, it's okay."

"NO IT'S NOT FUCKING OKAY YOU BASTARD!" Tommy all but screamed and Sapnap looked behind them instinctively toward the wall of lava. There's no way Sam didn't hear that. There goes the quick in and out plan.

"You made me kill Tubbo, Dream..." Tommy sounded so broken. His eyes welled with tears that spilled freely down his cheeks. "For no fucking reason... Why? Why would you- why... I don't-"

"It wasn't for no reason T-"

Dream's soft voice was interrupted by Tommy's angry yell.

"NO! YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP! I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU, DREAM!" Tommy threatened and even Sapnap was caught off guard by that. The boy's sword was raised and the distant look in his eyes said he would do it without a second thought.