Chapter 2: Bat

"Bat?" Eli said quietly as she walked into their room.

"What do you want?" Bat said groggily, slowly waking up. It was about 4 in the morning and Bat had only slept 2 hours.

"Bat, I'm sorry, I didn't mean-" she whispered.

"I don't want to hear it." He said, turning over in bed.

"I swear I didn't show them, they walked in without knocking," she said, her voice wavering.

"I don't care!" He yelled. "Don't you understand? They're going to send me away! They think I need to be cured!" Eli started crying.

"It was an accident, I'm so sorry," she cried.

"Whatever, just get out," they said, turning off the lamp that Eli had turned on and going back to sleep.

Later that morning, Bat woke up to his parents knocking on his door. He sat up quickly, panicking.

"Um, come in," he said, nervously.

"Hi Bartholomew," his mom said. His dad nodded at him.

"Now obviously, you are going through something very difficult," she said. "Homosexuality is a terrible disease that we must act on as soon as possible. So we have decided-"

"We're sending you to a camp," his dad interrupted. "This camp will get you on the right track to get rid of your same-sex attraction."

"It's not something I can get rid of!" Bat said desperately. "I don't want to be this way, I just am!"

"Nonsense, you can always get rid of sin," his mom said. Bat noticed Eli standing in the doorway, wiping a tear from her eye. He looked at her with a sad face.

"You're leaving today, pack your things," His dad said, getting up to leave the room.

"Today? But-" Bat started.

"Quiet," his mom said. "You're going to get through this," she hugged him and left the room.

"This is all my fault," Eli said, sobbing. "I'm so sorry Bat." Bat shook his head.

"That place kills kids," Bat whispered. "They break you down and force you into their ideals. I don't think I'll survive,"

"You'll be ok, you're strong," Eli said quietly.

"Yeah," he responded, barely audible. Eli left the room and Bat started packing. His parents didn't give him many details, so he packed a week's worth of outfits, and some books. As he packed he wondered what would happen at this camp. What would they do to him? Then his dad came in, interrupting his thinking.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked.

"Why are you making me do this?" Bat asked softly.

"It's for your own good," his dad said, and left the room. Bat began to cry quietly. After a few minutes he wiped his nose on his sleeve and grabbed his bag.

"This is going to be a great opportunity," his mom said when he went downstairs. She wiped a tear away from their eyes.

"You know this is wrong, and we're going to fix you," she said, smiling. Eli came down to say goodbye.

"Bye Bat," she hugged him tightly. "I'm so sorry. I love you," Bat buried his head in her shoulder.

"I love you too," Although he was mad, he was going to miss his little sister.

"We'll bring you more clothing after the first week," his mom said.

"How long will I be there?" Bat asked, panicking.