(XIII)

Amon had ruined Republic City. Not only had he destroyed Air Temple Island, made bending the elements illegal and destroyed half of the city with his attacks, but he'd also made a mockery of everything my grandfather fought and stood for. The cherry on top was the Equalist mask covering his statue. It truly made my blood boil.

I was only interrupted from my training by the sound of Korra and Mako walking into our underground hideout. Asami and Bolin joined us, too.

"You two were gone a while," Asami observed suspiciously.

"We were doing reconnaissance," Mako replied with annoyance. Clearly, those two hadn't mended things between them yet.

"Whatever."

Right now, I couldn't bother to worry about that. Eventually, they would work it out. All that mattered at the moment was that I trained hard in order to fight the Equalists and Amon's army and get my home back.

"You need to talk to her. She's been training all day," I heard Asami whisper. "She hasn't even eaten anything."

"She'll only listen to you," Mako agreed.

I heard Korra sigh before she made her way to where I was training. I avoided hitting her with an airblade only barely. However, she didn't once look frightened. Her eyes only showed concern.

"Hey, Zaya. How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine. How was recon?"

She shrugged. "Nothing new to report. Apparently, Amon's army has made little progress from the last time. I'm more worried about what's going on with you."

"Nothing is going on. I said I'm fine."

"Zaya... I get it. Your home was attacked. Your family had to leave. I am really grateful that you stayed to help us, but I'm worried that you aren't in the right headspace."

"Thanks for the concern, Korra, but right now, I need to focus on becoming stronger."

"You know... A few months ago I was in the South Pole practicing for my firebending test, and now I'm in the middle of an all-out war. I didn't have any friends back then, but then I came here and met all of you. You were my first friend here. And I'm always going to be worried about you."

I sighed heavily. "I know, Korra. I'm sorry. I'm just... It's too hard. I haven't heard anything from Uncle Tenzin or my dad, and we haven't really seen General Iroh's army, either. Time is running out, and I'm worried if we don't do something now, there won't be anything left to save."

"I understand. But you won't be doing Republic City or Air Temple Island any good by not taking care of yourself. Have you slept at all?"

"I'll sleep when we defeat that bastard."

"Please, Zaya," she said once again, and it was hard to look away from her pained expression. "I've already lost this battle. I don't want to lose you, too."

***

I had mixed feelings about looking out to the island from the sewer drain the next morning. Even though Yue Bay was foggy, we could still clearly make out its shape through the fog.

"Coast is clear," Mako declared, gesturing for us to follow him out of the pipe.

We hid behind some boxes by the docks, while Bolin used a telescope to look out to the island.

"Once the United Forces arrive, we need to be ready to help in any way we can," Korra said.

"They're here!" Mako said, and sure enough, there they were: an entire fleet of army boats. There was enough of them, that I almost let my hopes up.