Turmoil of the past.

"I'm going to need you to calm down.." The anger flares in me even more as Zak stands in the lounge of the cottage. It seems to happen every time he tells me to calm down, whilst remaining as cool as a cucumber himself.

"Calm down?! Calm down! That bitch tried to take my son! Our son! Why the hell aren't you up there exorcising her ass?!"

Zak takes a breath. "I can't communicate with you, whilst you are screaming and shouting. I know you're upset, believe me, I am too. But yelling isn't getting us anywhere."

I glare at Zak before stomping over to the window to look at Theo down on the beach with Aaron and Luna, crabbing. He is blissfully unaware of what happened at the market, and if we planned on keeping it that way, I needed to calm down. Growling, I sit on the couch and fold my arms, I was also pissed that Zak had such a clear head that he was able to communicate with me so easily. He is right, shouting doesn't help anyone, but it was helping me...

"Right.." Zak sighs. "Let's talk about this."

As soon as he sits opposite me, I can feel my annoyance spike. "What the hell got into you? Asking Brian to buy the freakin' place! You're chilled about some Casper bitch trying to take my baby, you clearly don't seem phased at all!"

He shakes his head almost confused at that himself. "I have no idea. I don't want the place, I don't even want to investigate it. Something just, spurred me to blurt it out."

My brows knit together in frustration. "I can't believe how careless I was! Our son could have been taken. I-" My throat tightens as my emotions boil up.

"Hey, it's okay."

"No it isn't." I bite before I apologise.

Poor Zak nods in understanding. "The fear really hits you, doesn't it? I thought I was going to throw up. My knees almost buckled when I saw you hugging him."

Blowing out a breath of air, I wipe away the tears that had built in my eyes. "I have one job, one job and that is to be the best mom in the world and protect our son and I just failed it."

"Oh bullshit!" Zak snaps. "Ria, that isn't just your job, it is mine too. You haven't failed it or failed him. I should have been watching him too. It was a moment of lapse, every parent has it."

"We can't afford those moments, Zak. Ever." I tell him as I sit back and look to the ceiling. "I can't ever lose him.."

"You won't." He answers quietly, coming to sit beside me. "These things happen and now it has we will be more vigilant than ever. This isn't all on you. It's on me too..."

Silence descends between us and my mind churns of what could have happened if Luna hadn't been so quick off the mark.

"Do you think he realises that he's just came into contact with a spirit?" Zak asks making my look away from the double doors leading to the garden and back to him.

"No.. He seemed adamant that whoever he was speaking to, was actually there." I answer.

"I knew it would happen at some point, but I really did want to shelter him from it. I thought I could protect him from it all but what if he turns out just like me?"

My brows knit. "A really caring father with a stable and secure future? Oh jeez, I don't know." I reply sarcastically.

"I mean haunted." Zak bites causing the penny to drop.

"Oh."

"I was around his age when I started seeing and dreaming about things. The ship wreck, the weird creatures within my room... What if he is about to experience all that?"