What am I?

The week had some how blended into one and before I knew it, it was Friday and Theo was off out with his Grammy for their horse riding lesson.

"You're in luck." She says turning to me with a wide smile. "I have a few errands to run that require Theo's help, so I'll be taking him for the day."

I blink. "The day? Really?"

Zak's mom nods "Absolutely. I have a few treats planned, I'll bring him back around 6pm, is that okay?"

I'm Theo's parent too, but I look at Zak as he takes on the new bit of information, glancing at Theo's excited face, I hope Zak doesn't put a dampener on it by saying no.. Not that I think he could, his mom is as stubborn as he is.

"That's fine by me, I have a few things to do around here." I answer flashing a smile.

"Good. Come on Theo, let's get on the road."

And in a flurry of chaos, Zak's mom and Theo are gone, leaving myself and Zak in the house, alone.

"I already hate it." He says after a couple minutes of complete silence.

"It's unnerving. Where is Gracie?"

"Garden." He answers, looking out the window. "So we are childless today... What are you doing?"

I sit on the stool at the kitchen island, pulling the laptop over and opening it up to a case I had been slowly building for another lockdown. "Work."

He groans. "We have the whole house to ourselves and you want to work? Seriously?"

"Well it is that or laundry, ironing, tidying Theo's room and the bathrooms?"

"Or we could go back to bed?" Zak suggests, taking a step towards the kitchen door.

"If you're tired, go for it. But I'm gonna do this before that laundry load finishes and I have to do Theo's room before he comes back."

He stares at me with an expression that I can't read, before he shakes his head and walks away. Whilst spending the entire day in bed seems like fun, it won't get the list I have complied in my brain any shorter and if I can't relax, then it's pointless. No, I got to finish this, and then I'll see what he is up to.

***

My eyes are flying across the laptop screen, reading accounts of paranormal activity from witnesses who claim the hotel was haunted. Each account is different, from scratch marks to things moving on their own. According to one witness, it's a hot bed of activity.

"That's it." Zak says pushing the laptop lid down and almost squishing my fingers.

"Hey!" I frown, looking up at him.

"You're taking a break, before you get square eyes." He says, moving the laptop away from me, even going as far as to putting it on the other side of the island, out of my reach.

"Zak, I am reading-"

"I don't care what you are reading. I know you're helping me out with work, but you have to take a damn break."

"I am." I answer. "Theo is my break from work."

His brows lift. "You go from one role to another. Just take some time out, Maria."

Sitting back, I feel my back burn with tension from being sat in the same position for so long. "Okay, fine. I'll go do Theo's bedroom."

"No, you're gonna spend the afternoon on the couch with me, enjoying this time off."

"I haven't got time to sit down, I have-"

"Damn it Maria!" Zak snaps suddenly. "What is the point in me being home if you're gonna ignore me the entire time?!"