2

—— 2 ——

In a large library within the Neverland Valley Ranch, Isis and Michael were having a session for his autobiography, focusing on his early years. Michael looked at them with a curious facial expression. They did not reveal any depth to their character. They were short and showed no emotion. But he was determined to learn them.

"What caused your phobia?"

"That's a personal question." Isis blandly said, not taking their eyes off their notes. "The autobiography is on you, not me."

Michael judged their defensiveness. "Why so defensive?"

Isis looked at him, slightly vexed. "A person asking about my personal life is enough to get defensive about. Wouldn't you agree?"

Isis had Michael there. He despised the nosiness the press had for his personal life. "Point taken. I just would like to learn more about your character. You come across as very cold. Rigid. Robotic, almost."

Isis let out a light, gleeful laugh. "What a marvelous way to talk about your ghost writer."

"A laugh? Didn't think I'd see that in this life time."

Isis rolled their eyes. "I am a human, you know."

"A guarded one." Michael admitted. "If I am going to reveal who I am, isn't it fair for you to do the same?"

"You are persistent, Jackson." They said, shaking their head. "When I was four, I was kidnapped. Now, let's talk about you. What was the most successful endeavor you embarked as a young artist?"

Michael was quite surprised. A kidnapping? He couldn't help but dive more into the unfortunate experience. "What happened?"

Isis gave him an annoyed expression.

"Alright, understood. As you know, I was the lead member of the successful pop band the Jackson Five."

Isis began to jot down his words on their notebook. "Bold of you to assume I know anything about you." They said, indifferently.

His eyebrows furrowed. "This is public knowledge."

Isis glanced back at him. "Evidently not since I'm unaware. What year?"

How could they not know? Michael thought. Was it self centered of him to assume everyone was aware of his origins? Isis comment made him feel egotistic.

"1964." He replied, still uncomfortable by their tone. "I am anything but egotistic."

"Did I say that you are?"

"Your tone did." Michael replied.

"That's an assumption, not a fact. Your assumptions have nothing to do with me. If you feel the need to explain yourself, then that is a personal problem you should unpack privately."

Michael's mouth nearly dropped. Isis was unapologetically blunt. No one has ever spoken to him in the way they did. Michael was so stunned, he failed to respond for a few moments.

"Now, what caused the emergence of the band?"

Michael let out a shaky laugh. "Aren't you something?"

"I most definitely am." Isis said with a small smile. "Focus on my question, Jackson. We don't have all day."

"My schedule is cleared."

"I don't have all day." Isis emphasized. "Believe it or not, the world doesn't revolve around you. I have a life outside of this."

Isis left Michael surprised yet again. A second feisty, ferocious comment? Michael was beginning to like the spunkiness and wanted to hear more. What better way to hear than provoking them?

"Did I mention that it did?"

Isis looked at him, irritated at his mocking. "Oh, very well, then."

"So, what do you have to do after this?" Michael continued. "Is there a secret admirer?"

"Wouldn't you like to know? What I do on my personal time is not your business."

Michael nodded, absentmindedly smiling. "Alright, next question. What is the reason behind your ferocity? You've taken a bite at me twice. Why is that?"

"Because you assume everything is about you. When someone has the fame you do, they will never be humble. You have developed a God complex."

Michael was bothered Isis had an assumption he saw himself more than he was. But he was too amused to quit his act. "Alright."

"Alright?"

He nodded. "Alright. If you have something you'd like for me to say, that is a personal problem that you should unpack privately."

"When you are ready to have an adult conversation, send me an email."

Michael was fascinated by Isis' behavior. What was their vendetta against him? This was deeply rooted prior to their arrangement. Why did they agree to be his ghost writer if they had an opinion on him such as that one? Michael watched Isis storm out the library, pondering what must've been going through their mind.