Chapter 14 - Lia

What an asshole.

It's been five days since I last saw Rafe and I can't get the look in his eyes out of my head. It was as if he was fighting an inner battle. His eyes were soft, but his words were sharp. Each word was like a jab to the chest. It's a feeling I couldn't explain. I don't care about this guy one bit and it's clear the feelings mutual. But this was so out of the blue. Just as I was starting to think Rafe wasn't that bad, he goes and does this. After all the progress. Is it because I didn't kiss him? 

So many question tumble around in my head. My mind is about to explode thinking about our 'talk' the other night. I should be listening to my teacher, but everything comes in one ear and out through the other. He's like a white noise in the background, I just zone him out.  

I yawn and stretch my legs out beneath my seat. I hate Spanish class. I struggle to learn new languages. I can take the class for years on end and still not form a sentence without complication. If I could have dropped it, I would have a long while ago. Sadly, I didn't have the choice. 

The bell sounds and I'm out of my seat in no time. Grabbing my bag, I sling it over my shoulder and make a beeline for the girls bathroom. Savannah waits for me there before lunch. 

She's not here yet, so i slip inside a stall and do my business. The door swings open while I'm washing my hands and a very enthusiastic Savannah comes striding in. 

"Hey Lia!" She squeals and traps me in a bear hug. 

I smile at her excitement to see me. It warms my heart having another girl friend around. I haven't felt this way in so long and I realise now how much I missed it. After shaking my wet hands off, I her squeeze right back.

"Hi cutie!" I giggle.

"You flirt." She accuses, rolling her eyes at me.

"Only for you." I joke, nudging her with my elbow, before grabbing her hand and dragging her behind me. "Come on, Spanish class took forever to end and I'm starving."

Sadly Savannah and I don't share any classes. Lunch time is the only chance we get during the day to hang out and chat. Her friends didn't exactly greet me with open arms though, they still aren't used to the whole Kook hanging out with a Pogue thing. It's pathetic when you think about it. Savannah doesn't tolerate the pettiness and always walks with me to lunch. It's become our routine. We meet at the bathroom outside the Cafeteria, grab food, then sit at her friends table next to a large window. 

The school meals are bearable, everyday we are served something new. I grab a chocolate milk and load my tray with macaroni, then veggies. Nothing here ever tastes great, but at least it's free. 

This past week I've tried to spark conversation with the other girls, but it's clear that they have no interest in talking to me. I only earn a few skiffs from them, but at least the guys at the table are easier to talk to. The girls who do chime in have such fake enthusiasm that it's painfully obvious. Though I can tell they're only trying to put on a show for Savannah, so she doesn't bite their heads off.

Instead, I now just converse with Savannah. I don't need validation from insecure 'mean girls'. I get it, you don't like that your competition is a Pogue. Thanks for the compliment loves. 

I smile, plopping a carrot in my mouth. 

I told Savannah about the Rafe situation during the week and she seems just as confused by his behavior as I am. Okay, so I didn't tell her everything, I may have left out a few details, like him dumping a body; us spending the night in jail; him mentioning his dad being alive, but that's beside the point. I don't know if it's a good idea to mention those key details just yet.