Chapter 8

Kíli kept on rambling about whatever random topic popped up in his head, but Fíli wasn't listening. His eyes were fixed on the road in front of them, lost in his own thoughts, not even bothering to react to whatever it was his brother was telling him about.

Kíli was driving him to the cabin, just like Thorin had promised. Well, ordered might be a better word. Fíli hated being dependent on others, but there really wasn't another option. His arm was in a sling, the pain in his shoulder too much to use it, his ribs still sore. Even letting his arm rest next to his body hurt like hell.

The doctors had told him that the only thing he needed in order to fully heal was lots of patience and time. Two things Fíli didn't have a lot of.

"You alright?"

Fíli finally tore his eyes away from the passing landscape and watched his brother's profile for a few seconds. "Yeah, just tired," he sighed.

Kíli knew that was only half the truth, but decided not to push his older brother. Fíli wasn't like him, he was more closed off while Kíli wore his heart on his sleeve.

He had seen the heartache reflected in Fíli's eyes, the blue less bright, as if someone had placed a very dark filter over them. Kíli wanted nothing more than to help his brother get better, and he was not talking about his injuries. He looked startlingly similar to their Uncle when he was brooding like this, and they definitely didn't need a copy of Thorin walking around. Maybe he could pay Lucy a visit when he was back in Auckland the next day, see how she's doing. Probably a lot better than his mess of a brother.

"Oh, I haven't told you the news yet!" Kíli suddenly burst out in excitement, remembering what Thorin had told him that morning.

"What? You've finally decided to grow up?" Fíli said, not looking away from the window, trying to sound uninterested but the corners of his mouth twitched. Despite his miserable mood, he couldn't help but tease his younger brother.

"You're lucky you got shot in your right shoulder, because that comment would have definitely earned you a punch otherwise."

"Pull the car over so I can show you that I can still beat you, even with this busted shoulder."

"Oh, so you can blame me for making your injuries worse, I don't think so! I'm not stupid," Kíli chided.

Fíli laughed, but immediately clutched his side when his ribs acted up.

"Okay fine," he groaned. "You would probably kick my ass. I can't even laugh without risking my lungs getting pierced."

They drove in a comfortable silence for a few minutes, until Fíli remembered what Kíli said.

"So what's the news?"

"Oh no, I'm not telling you anymore."

"Very mature Kíli."

"You're the mature one after all, not me."

"Fine, don't tell me then, I don't care," Fíli sighed, barely keeping the grin off his face. He missed this bantering between them. He turned his attention to the window again, knowing it wouldn't take long for Kíli to break and tell him after all.

And sure enough, it didn't even take five minutes before Kíli gave in.

"Okay! I'll tell you, stop pestering me about it," he said, rolling his eyes, not being able to contain his excitement about the news he was about to share, earning a chuckle from Fíli. To give him credit, his brother had taken longer than usual. Maybe he was finally growing up.

"Well, you know how you've basically rolled up an entire cartel on your own, with help from me of course," Kíli added, tearing his eyes off the road for a few seconds so he could look at Fíli with a very self-satisfied look. "Apparently they had been eyeing this one for quite some time, so we did the feds a huge favor."