New Beginnings

Featured Gaelic and Pronunciations:

- Feasgar math (fee-sker mah) - good afternoon

- A chàirdean (ah harsh-dehn) - friends (speaking to)

↞~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~↠

3 January, 1744

Le Havre, France

"Ah, nothin' like the stink of a fishing port," said Cailean as he stepped off of the gangway. Jamie and I were close behind, Jamie rushing to get off of that boat as quickly as he possibly could. Brian was cradled in his arms while I held Archie, who had been very fussy. "So... This is France?"

"Only Le Havre," said Jamie as he stepped off of the gangplank. He turned to face me and smiled, then reached a hand out to me to help me down. I accepted his hand and stepped off the gangway, then stood on my toes to kiss him.

"Mmm, I like ye better with a wee bit of stubble," I told him, and he chuckled.

"Tha's not the style fer men here in France," he told me, then he kissed me again. "To new beginnings, aye?"

"Aye, indeed," I said, and I kissed him a third time. "I thought ye would knock the crew off the gangway, ye were tryin' te get off so quickly."

"Aye, well... if I spent another minute on that rolling, creaking, leaking tub, ye may have had te bury me at sea," said Jamie, and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"There were times in the last few hours I thought I'd have te do that as an act of mercy," I told him.

"France!" Murtagh suddenly exclaimed behind us, surprising us both. "Reeks of frogs, just as I remember it."

"I think what ye'll find ye smell is fish, and I doubt ye'll find a single seaport in all the world that smells any different," I told him.

"He's just lookin' fer an excuse te complain, as always, the grimey old grouch," said Cailean, and Murtagh glared at him.

"Have ye ever even been te a port city, ye dolt?" Murtagh asked him.

"I wasnae raised on the Isle of Barra at all. Nope! I didnae spend my childhood on a boat fishing fer me supper," said Cailean sarcastically, and Murtagh narrowed his eyes at him.

"No wonder ye smell no different from the frogs," said Murtagh, and I stifled a snort. "I'll go and arrange fer some rooms fer us somewhere. Somewhere away from all this stink ." With that said, he slinked off, Jamie, Cailean and I watching after him. Beth MacCraig then made her way down the gangplank.

"Ah, Beth, there ye are! Go with Murtagh there, he's arrangin' fer rooms," I told her.

"Yes, Mistress. Should I take the lads?" Beth asked me, tucking her mousy brown hair beneath her cap.

"Probably wouldnae be a bad idea. I'll come and join shortly," I said, handing Archie to her. "Cailean can go with ye and bring Brian."

"I am no ' goin' with that crabby old curmudgeon!" Cailean exclaimed. "Jamie's already holdin' him, and he actually likes the cranky old coot."

"He's no' so bad," Jamie told him. "He's actually quite fond of ye."

"Tha's a funny joke, Jamie. Hilarious. I'm pishin' meself with laughter," said Cailean with full serious-toned sarcasm, and Jamie chuckled.

"I'll go with him. Watch yer sister, dinnae let her get herself into trouble," Jamie said, giving me a playful look. "We've had enough of that lately, aye?"