Poorly baby. (maybe triggering in Carters POV)

Start from the beginning

"I do. It's just in the other room. Do I need to get her dressed?"

"Just a long top will be fine. Are the nappies an incontinence thing?" Grace replied.

"Pretty much. She struggles and it's convenient, especially when she's sick." I sat her on the sofa and she whimpered loudly.

"Mama no gwo," she reached out for me but I could see she was exhausted.

"I'm not going sweets, I'm just here," I replied. I grabbed a freshly washed t-shirt of mine from a nearby basket and put it over her head before guiding her hands in.

"We're ready when you are," I said, picking Jess back up.

"I'll take this bag, is it the one to go?" Grace said. I nodded and she flung it over her shoulder.

"Thank you."

In the ambulance, Grace began checking Jess over whilst I sat on the side.

"Mama," Jess would occasionally whimper and point to me.

Grace was scribing on a piece of paper and looking between Jess and I.

"How old is she?" she asked.

"22," I replied.

"Is the," she paused as if to find the right words, "baby thing an everyday occurrence? A mental thing? I don't mean to be rude. The doctors need to know!" she said, all very quickly.

I smiled reassuringly and played with Jess' hair. She was playing with her teddy so I didn't mind having this conversation.

"She suffers quite severely from PTSD, anxiety and OCD. She regresses to a child-like state when she struggles as a coping mechanism. I'd like to say it's not every day but it pretty much is at the minute. However, it simply stops her from doing any harm to herself or others," I explained, fiddling with Jess's hair.

"I see. She's a regressor. Are you her caregiver primarily then?"

"I'm her girlfriend as well but yes, I'm her caregiver."

"Daddy?" Jess whispered, looking at me sadly. I mentally sighed. I didn't want her to mention him. Carter and I had recently had a big falling out regarding Jess as he'd said some pretty hurtful things- one thing in particular and I pretty much kicked him out on the spot. That was a week ago and we haven't spoken since but I think, he's too afraid to say anything to me and well, I'm just too awkward. I've been wanting to call him all day or just text him because I was struggling with handling little, sick Jess on my own.

"Daddy isn't here baby," I whispered, moving some hair from her hot forehead.

"Oh," she whimpered.

"She has a daddy too?" Grace asked, looking up.

"She does. He's our boyfriend but helps with Caregiver duties too," I explained, sadly.

"I see. Can I please have your details, his as well? Does he know you're here?"

I shook my head sadly and she just nodded before handing me the paper. I didn't want to talk about it in front of Jess. His words would hurt her more than they hurt me and she just thinks he's been busy with work all week- hence why we hadn't seen him.

Two hours later, my heart was breaking as they wheeled Jess from her room to surgery. She had appendicitis and the only way to stop it now was to remove it. She was terrified, as anyone would be. However, the doctors seem to be doing such an amazing job. They've taken her littleness into their stride and are treating her as they would children. They have the kids nurses checking on her and things like that and the doctors have all been super supportive in my staying. But, there were limits and no parent was allowed in the surgery room.