Chapter 50: Letting Her Go

Start from the beginning

I had had it with Athena. I knew that woman would be a problem from the very first day Daniel laid his eyes on her. I mean, he could have any other woman, it wouldn't be a first, but why her!

I was going to make her disappear from his life, he would forget her in time.

*****
"Dad! We really need to talk" I said, barging into his study

"Veda, did I not teach you to knock" he said, calmly pouring himself a glass of whiskey

"Gustav, I really don't have your saintly level of patience right now okay"

"And what seems to be the problem mio caro?"

"It's that Athena! I want her dead before the end of the day, make it happen dad"

"Consideralo fatto. Happy" he said

"Sarò felice solo quando la vedrò morta" I said, "Fino ad allora, ciao papà"

Daniel's POV
I got to her school and waited for her, just like the first time I approached her. It was getting late, but I wasn't complaining.

I had been waiting for two hours when I saw her. She looked so happy walking with her friends and in that moment, I remembered Veda's words. How horrible of me to take her away from all this and put her in my world of misery just for my happiness.

I was caught up in my thoughts when I heard a knock on my window. I looked and saw her eyes glistening in all their beauty, and her warm smile. She was actually happy to see me.

"And how did you know it was me?" I said, opening my window.

"Weeelll.... Dark as night SUV, expensive looking too, big.... Can only be my one and only mobster" she said smiling

"Your... one and only?"

"Mm hm"

"I knew you'd be bad for me the second I laid eyes on you" I said, smiling, as she returned it with her enchanting smile, flushed, as always
"How was class?" I asked

"Please....don't ask me such questions"

"Ah, noted" I said, zipping my mouth teasingly making her laugh
"So, you're done for the day?"

"Yah. Why?"

"I want to take you somewhere"

"Are you asking me out on a date Don Terranova?"

"Maybe. Come on"

I had never had such a clam and jovial conversation with Athena before. It felt different, but I liked it. She was getting more comfortable around me, and that was enough for me.

But, I couldn't help but think about what Veda had said. It was haunting me, echoing in my ears.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, pulling me out of my daze

"Yah yah, everything's fine"

I was about to turn into Athena's apartment complex road when my phone rang. It was Claudius.

"Yes" I answered

"Il Capo, Athena è in pericolo, che Gustav ha ordinato per il suo assassino, di non portarla a casa" he said frantically

As soon as the call cut, I made a sharp U-turn and headed for my safe house.

"Daniel is everything okay? What's wrong?"

She was nervous and scared, I could see it in her eyes. I drove away from her house as fast as I could. I couldn't tell her what was happening.

"Daniel tell me what's wrong!"
"Daniel!"