Chapter 23- Their Confessed Feelings

Luca looked at the simple, yet beautiful set up that Alberto had put together on the roof of the tower. There was a a large velvet red blanket placed neatly on the floor, with a few already lit candles scattered around the edges of the blanket. In the middle of the blanket set a round, wooden table with a vase placed in the middle, holding a bouquet of stunning red roses.

"It's amazing, Al... I love it," Luca said, staring at the red roses.

He likes it! Okay be cool Alberto, be cool!

"Thanks Lu.." Alberto said as he sat down. Luca followed and sat down right next to him. The two were close enough where they could just barely hang their legs off of the edge.

"The sunset is so pretty tonight!" Luca said admiringly. Alberto smiled as he admired the sunset as well. Tonight, the sky was a beautiful shade or orange and red, with the sun slowly rising in the horizon. Luca had almost never seen things like that back in Genova; it was a beautiful city, but it was so much busier and crowded that Luca never got to admire anything in nature. Getting back to Portorosso and seeing all of the beautiful scenery was a nice change of pace.

The two sat there in silence, not saying anything, but they didn't need to. Just the relaxing, soothing atmosphere was calming enough. Luca suddenly scooted in closer to Alberto and rested his head on the boy's shoulder. Alberto tensed up before relaxing his shoulders, trying to keep himself composed. He didn't want to seem frantic in front of Luca, even though inside, he was definitely freaking out.

"Al?"

Alberto smiled and glanced over towards Luca, who was still laying on his shoulder. Luca looked up at him, which made Alberto feel happy inside.

"Yeah?" Alberto asked.

"Um.. I just wanted to say.." Luca grinned. "Thanks for- y'know- making this summer so awesome. I'm so glad we came back.."

Alberto felt the urge to tell Luca everything. He wanted to tell Luca how he felt, but there was just something holding him back from saying the things he desperately wanted to say.

"No, thank you. It wouldn't have been as fun without you here, Lu." Alberto made eye contact with Luca and smiled. Luca blushed and looked down at the floor in an attempt to hide his face.

"Oh yeah, I forgot!" Luca said as he reached for something in his back pocket. He pulled out the white tulip that he had gotten for Alberto. "This is for you.. I hope you like it."

He handed over the flower, to which Alberto grabbed onto the stem and stared at its petals. He felt tears form in his eyes, but tried not to hold them in.

"Luca.. you shouldn't have," Alberto said softly.

Luca was still staring at the floor. "I just- felt like I needed to get you something. That day Ercole.." Luca stopped talking after recalling that horrific day. He hated to even think about it. "That day Ercole came back, he ruined the flowers I had gotten for you.."

Alberto looked up, surprised after hearing that.

"You- you got me flowers?" Alberto asked.

"Well yeah, but then Ercole destroyed them.." Luca explained. "I wish I would've been able to give you those instead."

Alberto shook his head, before quickly hugging Luca. "No no, it's perfect Luca, thank you."

Luca hugged him back, not wanting to let go. He suddenly had the thought in his mind that summer was already almost over. Next week, the race would be held, and then the next day, Luca would once again leave for Genova with Giulia, leaving Alberto behind. He never meant to abandon Alberto, but at the same time, he loved school and wanted to keep learning. Luca was hesitant to bring the subject up, because there was a chance Alberto wouldn't like being reminded of that news.