~ Part 1 ~

Diary entry no.15

Kind of hard to believe that was almost 8 years ago and yet I still remember it clear as day.

Some people might say I would be overreacting to say that was the worst day of my life, but they don't know the least of the awful things my parents put me through in my teen years.

You know, they even made me move schools the next year just so I wouldn't be able to see any of my friends again.

Ridiculous, right?

Anyway, as delightful as it would be to continue talking about my tragic childhood, I hopefully have some better things coming my way this year.

3 days ago, I had a job interview for the position as Daniel Ricciardo's race engineer at McLaren and I can't even begin to describe how much this job would mean to me.

Right now, I'm waiting for their call to see if I got the job or not and honestly it's probably been the most stressful 2 hours of my adult life.

And I studied mechanical engineering at University.

Evelyn tapped her pen against the desk as she paused to think for a moment.

Getting a job in f1 also means that I might be able to speak to George again for the first time in 8 years.

The thought of seeing him again in person is... A little overwhelming to be honest. He's been on my mind ever since we were separated so you can imagine how much it would mean to me to finally see him again after all this time.

If he even wants to see me at all.

Considering I just disappeared without a word for 8 years, he could very well hate me.

Evelyn stopped writing for a second as a realisation hit her.

"Maybe he won't even recognise me..." She mumbled.

"Hmm, I can't tell if that would be easier for you or not."

A voice from the doorway to her bedroom snapped Evelyn out of her thoughtful daze.

"Lilian! What are you doing here?" Evelyn smiled and stood up to give her best friend a hug.

"I came to see if you had heard about the job yet!" Lilian returned the hug and gave her a hopeful smile.

Evelyn let out an exhausted sigh.
"No, not yet."
She sat back down in her desk chair with a huff.
"Usually, I can be so patient when waiting for anything but honestly this is just killing me." She rubbed at her forehead in frustration.

"Awh mate." Lilian squeezed her shoulder comfortingly. "I'm sure you'll hear from them soon."

"If I don't, I might just combust."

Lilian laughed at her best friend's attitude.
"Come on, now that I'm here why don't we do something to distract you?"

"Sure. It beats just sitting here chewing my nails raw from the anticipation." Evelyn swung her chair around to face Lilian. "So what do you wanna do?"

"Well..." Lilian slowly pulled out a bottle of wine from her bag, that she had brought over as a gift. "I don't know about you, but this has definitely managed to distract me from my work problems a couple of times before." She smirked.

Evelyn laughed. "As great as that sounds, I think I'm gonna hold off on a drink for now. I don't really think the supervisors at McLaren need to hear my drunk voice just yet."