Chapter Thirty One

Start from the beginning

In the last few months, Tomura's hair had grown a fair amount, falling disorderly across his face. I loved it being long. I wouldn't change it for the world, but Tomura found it irritating, especially when trying to play video games. So, I found a resolution to keep it from falling in his eyes and distracting him.

Strolling over to the side of the bed I couldn't stifle the giggle that bubbled out of me at the sight of the bright pink hair clips pinned either side of his head. Keeping the pesky locks of hair out of his face and allowing him to play the game without any interferences.

"Drop at military base," Iguchi said, eyes fixed onto the wide tv screen.

"No way, everyone drops there, it'll be a shit show," Tomura snapped back. Both were oblivious to my returning presence.

"The loot is always good here, if we can get a good loadout then we can handle the other players. It'll be easy. Trust."

"That's what you said the last time..." Tomura grunted, clearly vexed. He didn't take kindly to being bossed around by his scaled subordinate.

Ignoring the two young men quarrelling about drop zones, I clambered back onto the bed and wrapped myself around Tomura from behind. Instead of flinching or tensing up at the unspoken touch he relaxed back into my embrace and continued playing the game. I squished my face against him, deeply inhaling the sweet earthy aroma that always managed to settle my unstable stomach. Humming in content as the swirling sensation simmered down inside my stomach.

"Fuck this game! I told you that zone was shit, too many fucking campers!" Tomura yelled, his back rumbled at his raised discontented voice from being shot down in-game.

"Crawl to me, I'll revive you."

"Too late. The little shits got me," Tomura growled, throwing down the battered controller onto the bed in aggravation. "You carry on. I'll join the next one, I need a break from all these hackers," he leaned back, exhaling forcefully. Fingers twitched at the hollow of his neck, desperate to itch away his frustrations.

"Hackers, really?" I smirked into the fabric of his back.

"Uh, yes. Hang on, aren't you supposed to be on my side?" Tomura slowly unhooked my interlocked hands from around his stomach.

"Not when you're blatantly lying," I snorted.

"I'm not lying! They were clearly hacking, how else would you explain it?"

"Your shit?"

"Excuse me?" He tugged  me around his side, a startled squeal spilled out of me. "Want to repeat that?" he asked, a threatening smile peering down at me cradled in the crook of his lap. Unfazed by Iguchi sitting only a metre away, the cacophony of gunfire and explosions luckily masked our conversation. Iguchi was none the wiser.

"I...uh...I said...Oh, great Tomura. No one could ever exceed your amazing gaming skills. You're no doubt the best in ALL of Japan," I bit down on my lower lip, stifling the teasing laughter.

"That's more like it," Tomura smugly grinned, tugging my lower lip from between my teeth with the soft pad of his thumb. The smug expression fell, a troubled look replacing it instead.

"You've been sick again haven't you?" Tomura's voice was full of concern, looking over my pasty face. I could never hide anything from him, the man was simply too observant.

"I told you, I'll be fine. Nothing that a bit of rest can't fix," I dismissed his concern with the addition of a shrug.

"Mina, it's been four days now, you can't keep this up. When was the last time you ate something and didn't bring it back up?" Tomura was taking it very seriously. Lips held together tightly while keeping meaningful eye contact.